wood floors or not???

S

simms

I want to put down a semi-solid wood floor
in the hallway,but the otherhalf says that if
we do and the dog wees on it it will be ruined!!
Can I make it waterproof with something??
Or just forget about it???:confused:

the boards won't be damaged ...but you might have a problem with the smell of dog pee. if you sealed between the boards with a wax finish maybe that might stop it seeping betweem the boards. the boards themselves come laquered so can be wiped clean...I put tiles on my hall and love them, thought they would be cold, but no..warm even on bear feet. i'm building again and will put tiles down. putting semi solid in the hall might not last that long, it depends on the usage of the hall, stone marks could develop, or sctrach marks from your dog..so get a good semi solid (min 15mm) which will give you 3 sanding.

We have solid wood floors throughout the downstairs of our house which were sanded and varnished when they were put down about 7 years ago - never had a problem with spillage and the floors are regularly wiped with a damp cloth. If timber floors were as easily ruined as your husband seems to think I don't think anyone would put them down. :confused:

johnnyg said:
the boards won't be damaged ...but you might have a problem with the smell of dog pee. if you sealed between the boards with a wax finish maybe that might stop it seeping betweem the boards. the boards themselves come laquered so can be wiped clean...I put tiles on my hall and love them, thought they would be cold, but no..warm even on bear feet. i'm building again and will put tiles down. putting semi solid in the hall might not last that long, it depends on the usage of the hall, stone marks could develop, or sctrach marks from your dog..so get a good semi solid (min 15mm) which will give you 3 sanding.
Ok dont want a smell of dog,so I will go along with the tiles
seems a better choice as the hall does get a lot of wear.
Thanks
my mind is made up now;)

IMHO, you are best to put tiles in the hallway & kitchen. Stones etc brought in on shoes will scuff the surface and the hallway will get the brunt of this. Like the earlier post, I thought tiles would be too cold, but I was wrong. Glad I put down the tiles. I put timber in all other rooms.

We put tiles on kitchen floor in last house and would never do it again. They were so cold underfoot - particularly if you went downstairs for glass of water in middle of night.

We have tiles in the whole ground floor, with underfloor heating. Nice! No cold feet!

my2leftfeet said:
We put tiles on kitchen floor in last house and would never do it again. They were so cold underfoot - particularly if you went downstairs for glass of water in middle of night.

Can you not get slippers to fit you?:D

I am interested in getting a wide-plank floor. Any recommendations regarding suppliers? I would prefer a solid wood floor that does not need to be varnished.

Marion

Marion said:
I am interested in getting a wide-plank floor. Any recommendations regarding suppliers? I would prefer a solid wood floor that does not need to be varnished.

Marion

Can I presume you mean pre-varnished (as distinct from no varnish at all).

Hi Bluebean

Yes, pre-varnished or pre-finished. Duckie, thanks for those links.

Marion

Back