Winter Sun

airgead07

Anyone know of anywhere that provides sun bathing weather over xmas new year period? Been looking at Lanzarote, Puerto Rico in Gran Canaria, Egypt and Morocco.

Temps in brochure showings as 22/23 degrees.

Anyone been to any of these places at that time of year? Thanks

I have been to Lanzarote twice during windter months (Jan 07 and Feb 08) and had good weater but we know we were lucky.

If the sun didn't shine, it would be painful, especially with kids.

we went to lanzarote in march 2 years ago.... nightmare. we were there for 2 weeks and got on average 1-2hours per day that were nice. but not even altogether the sun is lovely and then a big cloud passes and is freezing so t shirt and shorts pulled on then 20 minutes later out comes sun again. so annoying. about 5 days of our 2 weeks were lashing and freezing and there was nothing to do. hired a car and drove to the sights but quite dull after a day

i would never bother going back other than may - sept. some people were very lucky though

I spend 2 weeks in gran canaria every year around xmass and almost invariably the weather is completely sunny with sit out sunning hours from around 10:30am to around 4:30pm most days. other canary islands has higher risk of clouding that time of year.

South of Morocco, around Agadir is usually a good bet for sunshine that time of year. May be windy on beaches though, so if your thing is lying in the sun you need a good hotel with a pool.

Narky - I must be very lucky then. I've only ever gone to the Canaries in late October - December and always had hot weather. (And I've been both to Gran Canaria and Lanzarote about ten times)
The Canaries is an ideal destination during these periods.

I do know that Jan, Feb, March can have dicey weather there and I remember a couple of years back Liveline nearly having a full programme of people who were out there complaining about the cold and warning anyone coming the following week (which was the Feb mid term break) to bring warm clothes with them!

Narky - I must be very lucky then. I've only ever gone to the Canaries in late October - December and always had hot weather. (And I've been both to Gran Canaria and Lanzarote about ten times)
The Canaries is an ideal destination during these periods.

I do know that Jan, Feb, March can have dicey weather there and I remember a couple of years back Liveline nearly having a full programme of people who were out there complaining about the cold and warning anyone coming the following week (which was the Feb mid term break) to bring warm clothes with them!

Just the luck of the draw. I remember going to canaries (GC) that weekend of the J Duffy stuff, and the weather was back to normal sunshine when I arrived!

Thanks for that, was in Lanzarctote myself in last week of October before and it was lovely,in the 30's and sunny all day.

We've been to Morrocco several times for Christmas and New Year and it is generally in the mid 20s after breakfast. Tunisia as well, but once or twice there the weather was very cool. Shirt and jumper during the day and very little pool bathing.

Back