Windscreen repair and no claims bonus

Afterflood

Hello all,

I need to get a crack repaired in my windscreen.

If I claim through my insurance company will this affect my no claims bonus going forward or is this treated seperately.

I have insurance with windscreen cover through xs direct.

If anyone could advise I would appreciate.

When we replaced our windscreen last year it was treated as separate cover and on renewal our insurance or no claims bonus didn't go up anything as a resut.

Is there any disadvantage in getting the windscreen replaced through the insurance company?

I generally don't bother claiming for small claims, but Autoglass told me that they will do all the paperwork and I won't be affected in any way.

I rang Glennons to make sure. I have windscreen cover and the claim won't affect me. If I switch insurance company next year, I will still have a no claims certificate for 5 years or 10 years or whatever the max is.

Incidentally they would charge me €195 for doing it at their premises but only €250 for doing it at my home. As it would take over two hours before I could drive off again, it's well worth getting it done at home.

They will look at the chip to decide whether it can be repaired or not before replacing it.

Brendan

It depends on your insurance cover... some policies have "automatic windscreen cover" as part of a policy, which allows a specified number of claims within a policy year without affecting your NCB. Usually this is the default for comprehensive policies BUT check with your insurance company before hand - simple call to them will verify this.

Wife got windscreen chip repaired at home through insurance. She wasn't satisfied with repair so next day same repair guy just replaced the windscreen at home. There was no charge/fee and her no claims bonus wasn't affected.

Back