Window Spec - Questions to ask

Lemlin

I've a good quote for woodgrain effect uPVC windows with triple glazing. Here's the spec of the window:

Internally Glazed
Triple Glazed (42mm Thick)
Internal Pane – Soft Coat Low E
Centre Pane – Soft Coat Low E
External Pane – Float Glass
Spacer Bar- Warm Edge
Both Cavity- Argon Filled
Glass U Value – 0.6 W/m²K
Whole Window U Value – 0.9 W/m²K
Energy Rating “A+”

Is there anything people can see wrong with that spec? Or anything I should ask the supplier?

The frame size of the window is 70mm front to back for triple glazed so a bigger frame is used - its only 58mm front to back for double glazed.

RE: the PVC;-

Ask the local planning officer whether there is any planning policy in place for replacement windows - there has been a huge move against PVC recently in planning circles.

RE: the Supplier;-

As with any product, the devil is in the details.
I'd only be taking delivery from someone whose work I had fully vetted and who had a nationwide reputation for good work.
You don't need to be part of some new company's trial-and-error product development and marketing strategy just because the price looks "right".

RE: the Windows;-

Triple glazing is expensive and you need a decent guarantee and proper fitting and follow up service.
In particular watch out for the window boards if the supplier is making good.
I have seen knotted and split boards being put into a house recently.
Builder had to take several boards out, replace and make good.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

onq hit the nail on the head with "a decent guarantee and proper fitting and follow up service". Look at best practice for new houses and try to apply to you sitaution.

Back