Will I get JSA with my dh working?

ineedhelp2

I am unemployed and Job seekers bebefit is coming to an end. I got a letter saying I need to apply for Job seekers Allowance and that it is means tested.
Will I get anything at all as mY dh is working fulltime?
We are babrely managing with me getting €188 jobseekers so dont know what will happen if we get nothing in the means test.

Dh earns about €600 - 650 a week, we have a 3 children , no savings at all, our interest only mortage is up in 3 months and we will then be paying €1350 a month mortgage....

Any advice please I am freaking out ...am looking for a job but nothing so far

Going by my personal experience, you do not have any JA entitlement. I earned less weekly than your DH and my wife was not entitled to JA.

However I've tried to work out the extremely complicated and vague examples from the Social website and if I've done it correctly, you may have some small entitlement;

spouse net income: €650.00
Less working spouse allowance: €100.00

Total: €550.00
Step 2:
Claimant's entitlement: €204.30
QA: €0.00
Qualified Child (29.80 x 3) €89.40
Total €293.70
Less €275.00
Amount payable €18.70

Last edited:
Thanks for that I found it near impossible to try and work it out... had a feeling I wouldnt get it...omg we are in big trouble so...aghhhh

I think the key think - and you probably already know this - is to get down to the bank and get renegotiate. They'll probably want to see something come off the capital but might defer some of the interest and let it round up...

You may qualify for Family Income Supplement, although it may not be much as you are close to the threshold for your family size
http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW22/Pages/2HowdoIqualify.aspx

I think the key think - and you probably already know this - is to get down to the bank and get renegotiate. They'll probably want to see something come off the capital but might defer some of the interest and let it round up...
Thanks Sean we already did this 3 months ago...we were paying interst only for 9 months and then when that ended we agreed to pay interst only and €100 off capital so are paying €800 per month now.... we wont even be able to pay that when I lose the job seeker benefit in a few weeks.....

Your maximum allowable is 188 plus qa of 124.80 plus 3 * 29.80 which equals €402.20.
Your means are gross less prsi less €60.00 by 60%.Say €650-60=590.00*60%=€354.00 .
The payment is the difference (48.20) .If you were referring to take home pay of 650 you need to just change that figure in the above sum.This is my rough understanding of the sums which are admittedly complicated and poorly explained.Also,be prepared for a long wait.

Your maximum allowable is 188 plus qa of 124.80 plus 3 * 29.80 which equals €402.20.
Your means are gross less prsi less €60.00 by 60%.Say €650-60=590.00*60%=€354.00 .
The payment is the difference (48.20) .If you were referring to take home pay of 650 you need to just change that figure in the above sum.This is my rough understanding of the sums which are admittedly complicated and poorly explained.Also,be prepared for a long wait.
Thanks for working that out.... am wondeirng would it work out better for dh to claim for me and me not claim jsa.....

Thanks for working that out.... am wondeirng would it work out better for dh to claim for me and me not claim jsa...

What is it that you are referring to?

The figure I mentioned would be your jsa which you would have to apply for and collect,not your other half.

The figure I mentioned would be your jsa which you would have to apply for and collect,not your other half.
Yes I know that thanks. What I was saying was I wonder would I better not not claiming the jsa and instead letting my dh claim for me and apply for FIS

FIS payment on those figures would only be about 30 quid. But remember, FIS is worked out on net salary after income tax/USC, whereas only PRSI/union dues and pension contribs are deducted from Jobseekers.

If you give us the exact gross figures, and the precise dedections of PRSI, union dues, pension contributions, income tax and Universal Social Charge, will be able to give you precise calculation.

Also on those figures, you might be able to get a Jobseekers payment yourself AS WELL AS a FIS payment for your wife. The calculations are different though as she won't be on your claim, and you will only be able to claim half rate for the children, but the means assessment will be halved. You would be very near the threshold for being able to do this, but from my rough calculations would suggest that you would be able to get a 55 euro jobseekers payment, and your wife also be able to get a minimum 20 Euro FIS payment.

Give us the exact figures and someone will be able to do the sums.

Going by my personal experience, you do not have any JA entitlement. I earned less weekly than your DH and my wife was not entitled to JA.

However I've tried to work out the extremely complicated and vague examples from the Social website and if I've done it correctly, you may have some small entitlement;

spouse net income: €650.00
Less working spouse allowance: €100.00

Total: €550.00
Step 2:
Claimant's entitlement: €204.30
QA: €0.00
Qualified Child (29.80 x 3) €89.40
Total €293.70
Less €275.00
Amount payable €18.70

This calculation is wrong. There is no longer any "working spouse allowance", unless you have been claiming continuously from before September 2007. The current rules are that the first 60 euro is disregarded as well as 60% of the balance.

The claimant's entitlement is either going to be 188+124.80+3x29.80 (or if partner is on FIS, the entitlement is 188+3x14.90, but means are halved)

See here for the rules for calculating means from spouse's insurable employment http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/JA_ass_sppart_ern.aspx

As far as the mortgage is concerned, contact MABS for some proper professional advice before you get into trouble, and also check out the Code of Conduct on Mortgage Arrears to see what your rights are

[broken link removed]

Thnaks so much for the replies dh earning are €650 that is his gross take home pay after paye,prsi, pension and usc charges

Back