Motor Will car insurance premium remain same price or drop in price in 2nd year?

masterboy123

Just wondering if my car insurance is going to remain the same price or going to drop in 2nd year of insurance? Given I haven't claimed for anything.
Also, I would be moving to another county, would it effect the insurance price?

Thanks!

It should drop,because you will now have one years NCB,but insurance rates are up steeply this year,so this will probably wipe out any discount.
As always with car insurance,shop around every year,as loyalty is abused by the insurance companies.

my insurance went up from 280/year to 475/year - nothing changed, no claims, no penalty points, nothing. rang the insurance company to query this huge increase and was told it was a "general standard increase" - i argued and argued with them about it and they reduced it to 375 - still wasn't happy with this and shopped around and got it for 345 from another company - it's just such a pain doing this year in year out!!

They'll also be losing my house insurance which is due to expire in December - when i told them i'd be moving that too, the response was "that's grand" so clearly they didn't give a toss either way!!

Always always always shop around - it's annoying but it's easy money really.

Also try your existing insurer online - I've saved well over €100 on my home insurance this year and a similar amount on my car insurance 2 years ago without even switching.

Just wondering if my car insurance is going to remain the same price or going to drop in 2nd year of insurance? Given I haven't claimed for anything.
Also, I would be moving to another county, would it effect the insurance price?

Thanks!

You have to insure your car in the country in which you are living - e.g. if you move to the UK, in addition to the costly mandatory registration of your vehicle - you will have to cancel your Irish policy and take out a UK policy. If you drive in another country with an Irish policy - unless you are on a short holiday - you will be driving uninsured.

Last edited:
i think you read country, but i have mentioned county. I will be moving from one county to another county within Ireland.

You have to insure your car in the country in which you are living - e.g. if you move to the UK, in addition to the costly mandatory registration of your vehicle - you will have to cancel your Irish policy and take out a UK policy. If you drive in another country with an Irish policy - unless you are on a short holiday - you will be driving uninsured.

I will be moving from one county to another county within Ireland.

Insurers rate drivers from each county differently - there is a different risk profile per county - some are rated higher - some are lower.

You need to insure your car at the address where you normally live and the car is parked - the insurers have every right to challenge a claim for a theft/fire of your car if it is parked in a more risky area predominantly - but you claimed you lived in one of the safer areas.

Back