Wild Question - what new car to buy!

Ris

I am in the market for a new car. I will shortly inherit a sum of about 30k and I know that the benefactor would want me to have a new car. Dont ask!

What I need is a comfortable car (I am a larger than life character!) that would be nice to drive from Dublin to Wicklow every weekend. I'm not too concerned about passenger space as I would only be taking a young child with me but I would like some comfort and power. I am used to driving a 1.8 litre engine. I absolutely need air conditioning and a fairly generous boot space.

I am considering both the Honda and Nissan ranges (only because they are the only two cars I have ever owned!) but I am more than willing to consider other options. As I am 50+ and might never be in a position to buy a new car again I need reliability as the major factor.

A friend who is a tall man bought a new Mazda 6 recently. He is very happy with head room, leg room and boot space. It's a 1.8 petrol and according to him is very economical. I've been in it, I think you can get a more luxiourious model than his, it was very comfortable on a long journey and looked sporty rather than a middle aged man's car! And no , I don't sell cars or have a car dealership!!!

import from the uk if you want to get more bang for your buck. \the car will generally be higher spec and also cheaper

Hi , You could wait til July and get a Ford Focus 1.8 diesel with low co2 emissions (road tax €150 ) The focus also has one of the largest boots. I suggest you also look at the Mondeo if you want a bigger size car

If you want boot space then a Skoda Octavia would be the way to go. Great space front and back also. Tax only 150euro. Also, for 30k, you would get a great spec Octavia (sat nav, leather heated seats, auto wipers, auto lights, park sensors etc). Very economical too.

mondeo hatch back,, huge boot, air con as standard,, roughly 30 k

really nice and loads of interior space too

I reckon you should get a Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Bluemotion (diesel).

It's got the lowest Co2 emissions of any petrol/diesel car currently in production at 99g/km.

Of course its got no aircon, because aircon is bad for the environment.
We live in a cold climate, we need aircon in cars about as badly as people from Singapore need car heaters.

And you'll get 3.4litres/100km (74mpg).

OK,this car gives you none of the features you want (power, aircon, a lot of space), but it's a good car for anyone who cares about the planet, and it will get you from A to B. Always remember that less is more sometimes.

I reckon you should get a Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Bluemotion (diesel).

It's got the lowest Co2 emissions of any petrol/diesel car currently in production at 99g/km.

Of course its got no aircon, because aircon is bad for the environment.
We live in a cold climate, we need aircon in cars about as badly as people from Singapore need car heaters.

And you'll get 3.4litres/100km (74mpg).

OK,this car gives you none of the features you want (power, aircon, a lot of space), but it's a good car for anyone who cares about the planet, and it will get you from A to B. Always remember that less is more sometimes.

What is the point of posting something that is absolutely irrelevant to what the OP asked?

Its not up to you or me to dictate that the OP should go for a car that cares for the planet. He/ She gave a good description of that they wanted. Either give the poster a helping hand or say nothing at all. The car you suggested does not match any of the OP's requirements :confused:

What is the point of posting something that is absolutely irrelevant to what the OP asked?

Its not up to you or me to dictate that the OP should go for a car that cares for the planet. He/ She gave a good description of that they wanted. Either give the poster a helping hand or say nothing at all. The car you suggested does not match any of the OP's requirements :confused:

Absolutely correct Flatea2. Some of the Ops requirements are not environmently friendly (big, powerful, aircon), but you're right, answers should suggest cars which meets the ops requirements. I was out of line.

New Skoda Octavia Elegance model - air conditioning, alloys etc retails for €24300 including delivery charges etc (buying now for July) - dropping €2400 in VRT reduction

Go mad - get the Skoda Superb Elegance, currently listed at 35K - the ultimate in air-conditioned luxury at an affordable price. Bi-xenon headlamps, head-lamp washers, jumbo box (air conditioned centre-console cubby and adjustable arm-rest) , multi-function steering wheel, maxi-dot display, cruise control. With its own Superb umbrella stored in the rear door,optional solar-powered air-con to keep your car cool while parked in summer and prevent windows freezing up when parked in winter, its a package others can't compete with. All that plus a frugal 115 bhp 1.9tdi engine and an enormous boot.

BTW, I don't work for VW, Audi or Skoda or sell cars for a living.

Steady on there boyo. It is an alternative and at worst, it might stimulate a greener thought or two. Wouldn't life be boring if no one ever changed a formula.

Well, I have a Nissan Note and it's very comfortable to drive, has good power, it has good space and feels very light and airy inside (it has great head hight and the back-seats can slide back and forth to accommodate your needs for boot/backpassenger space needs. It has air-con, very smooth gear transition and as it's a little higher than most standard cars you have a good view of the road. Well worth going for a test-drive! My friend drives a Ford Focus and she loves it as well, and it comes highly recommended in general. But I'd say for the larger than life aspect it might not be as comfortable to get in and out of, as it is standard hight car! Best if you head to Merlin Motors (no association) on the Kylemore Road and just browse around and sit in some of the cars, they've got millions of cars and you can get in and out of them as you please and test-driving is no problem also. Once you find "the one" you just go and by a nice brand-new one! This way you save going to all the potential dealers to check different models....

Thank you all very much for the suggestions. You are very kind :) I have now got lots of ideas and places to start my car search.

Just to say Whiskey that I do need the air con because I have a medical condition and I cant control my body temperature in the heat so air con is about the only thing that gets me from A to B without ending up with a flaring temperature at the end. Some of our summer days can be very hot.

I will definitely bear in mind the 'greenness' of the car. I like the planet too ;)

If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to post. Im going to check the specs out on all the suggestions. Thanks again

Based on your criteria, I would say the following would all work;

Honda Accord
Toyota Avensis
Skoda Octavia
Ford Mondeo

If new, wait till July 1 and buy diesel to take advantage the new 'low' VRT & motor tax rates.

My suggestion is the GOLF GT SP 2.0 TDI.

You can look it up on www.volkswagen.ie

I think it meets your needs pretty well. It's a volkswagen so its well built and will have good resale value. Its comfortable, and the 3-door version has easier access that the 5-door. Air con is standard but leather will cost you a couple of grand. Assuming (though perhaps I shouldn't) that you have something to trade in then the cost (about €35,000) should be do-able. For that you will get a comfortable and reliable car that is exciting to drive and that will stand out from the dreary 4-door saloons!

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Bluemotion (diesel).
slightly off-topic, but according to yesterdays papers, those Bluemotion CO2 figures are completely fabricated, and are much higher when independently tested.

[broken link removed]

Come july, it will be intersting to see the sales numbers of new higher-performance diesels like the 320d here in IRL, versus bringing in a 1 yo one from the UK.
If there are 60-70k cars imported annually, that figure is bound to rise post-July.

The polo bluemotion isn't even available in Ireland! And whiskey, there is a aircon version of the polo bluemotion available. It has elec windows too. Afaik the one without aircon has no elec windows or central locking, in my opinion thats a step too far that Id be willing to take for the environment. And the bluemotion has less soundproofing, and is a 3 pot diesel too which would be a bit too old school for me. I read a review in I think what diesel magazine and they got slightly over 80mpg! I don't know where those rated co2 figures come from anyway, Isn't c02 output related to the amount of fuel you burn? And if so wouldn't it be fair to assume that if you drove hard you will burn more fuel and emit more C02?

Back