Wife on 2 day week long term. any entitlements?

mattym

My wife has been working 2 days a week for about the last 2 years. If she is looking for full time work is she entitled to any benefits while shes looking as no more hours are on offer in her current place of work. We checked this a long time ago but got the runaround with the social welfare. Is there a definative answer on this? Thanks in advance

The definite answer to this is that she is entitled to claim Jobseeker's Benefit/Allowance for any days that she is not employed but is genuinely seeking, available for and capable of working full-time. she will have to supply Sw with documentary evidence to prove this. Why did she not claim when she first was on a 2 day week? Was it that she was not then availabale for full-time work? Has the situation changed since?

Thanks for the reply welfarite. When my wife’s hours were cut down to 2 days a week I was earning more and to be honest we didn’t really need anymore so we didn’t pursue social welfare. Foolish i suppose. And we didn’t know if she was entitled to anything. We notice the change now because like a lot of others, I had to take a pay cut, and also, she has been on maternity leave for a few months and was getting more than she's going back to work to. Seems very little incentive to working in her case. What documentary evidence would we need for the Social Welfare???

Last edited:
Letters from employers approached for full-time work, including current one. copies of job applications. She should emphasise to SW that she was always available for full-time work since 2 years ago and the reasns why she didn't claim before now as yoy state above; reason I'm saying this adn emphasising 'efforts' evidence is that they will wonder why she didn't claim her entitlements up to now (i.e. was it due to unavailability?)

Back