Wife as shareholder in LTD company

kmce

hi all
my husband has set up his own small business as a ltd company and has named me as a director along with himself ( he is the sole employee)
I work in the private sector and pay paye usc etc through the payroll
I have no salary due from my husbands company or any other role/ benefits other then being named as an director

Will this effect my welfare entitlements ie jobseekers allowance if I was ever made redundant ( a real risk in the current environment)
kind rgds in advance
k

No. Just being a director does not make you self employed esp where there is no salary.

It's your shareholding that will determine how they view you. If it's less than 15% then you definitely have no problem.

thanks for that
I think my shareholding is 50% - will I ask for it to be amended to 1% or 10%?
many thanks
k

....Will this effect my welfare entitlements ie jobseekers allowance if I was ever made redundant ( a real risk in the current environment)
kind rgds in advance
k

This won't change anything, if you have entitlements from class A contributions then you have entitlements from class A contribtutions.

Even if you draw a salary at class S from the company, while still drawing a salary at class A from your employment, you are still entitled to you draw the dole (for example) if you lose your main job, you may however only draw 4 days a week (depending on how many days/hours a week you work for your husbands company).

www.jwr.ie

Back