Wicklow Town

mprsv1000

What is the cummute from wicklow to Dublin Like? I have a motorbike so can squeeze through traffic but only if the road lanes aren't too narrow.
Also can you get a train to Dublin if so what is it like, how long does it take, how often deos it go and what is parking like at the station...

What is Wicklow town like for a night?

cheers any advice would be appricated.

What is the cummute from wicklow to Dublin Like? I have a motorbike so can squeeze through traffic but only if the road lanes aren't too narrow.
I'm currently doing this commute by car, leave Wicklow at 6.45 in work (city centre 7.30/7.35), leave work at 4, home by 4.50/5pm
Also can you get a train to Dublin if so what is it like, how long does it take, how often deos it go and what is parking like at the station...
Plenty of parking on Station Rd, don't use the train myself so can't help there.
What is Wicklow town like for a night?
cheers any advice would be appricated.
I find Wicklow a great place to live, some nice pubs, restaurants, walks, sports etc.
If I can be of any further assistance just ask!

hi mprsv1000,

The 7.30 am train comes from Gorey and is usually crowded by the time it reaches Wicklow - you can be lucky and grab a seat but quite often I've had to stand for some of the way (quite a few people get out at Bray for the DART so sometimes you can get a seat then) ..it stops at Dun Laoghaire, Blackrock, Lansdowne aswell as the major Stations..

The worst thing about the rail service is the last train is at 18.30 form Connolly..there are regular bus services too (133 route) but bear in mind it takes around 1.5 hours as it goes off the N11 at Newtown, Kilpedder etc.

I live in Diublin now but grew up in Wicklow Town and I must say, you don't appreciate a place fully til you leave it..
hope this helps,
M

Thanks for the info guys, all looks very positive, it seems to me you can get more house for you money compared to Greystones or Newcastle, two other places I was thinking of.
p.s Kramer do you tranell by car or motorbike?

Bike is fine, about 45 to 50 minutes handy. Use the bus lanes but take it easy, the Garda don't appreciate speeding in the bus lanes. I was once advised to keep to the kerbside of the lane and no more than 10 mph above the speed of the cars.

Watch out for the scooters, they try to fill the spaces you leave for safety. Motorcycle cops would prefer sensible use of the bus lanes by bikers, rather than filtering, but most of the road lanes are wide enough for a safe trip. Don't try to copy the couriers yet :eek:)

Last edited:
Hi Cannon
sounds like you know a bit about bikes, whats insurance like? I have an aprilia rsv1000 but only 1 years no -claims, am I likely to get screwed?
oh yea I do have a clean licence...just about..got caught speeding but got off... but thats another story

Know less about bikes than I do about riding them. Came back to them after a 20 year break, so I have several full no claims bonuses on 4 wheels. I started off with a hack, 10 year old XJR 400 and rode it through a winter to see if I could take it. I also started with the most basic insurance on the basis that if I damaged the bike, I wouldn't bother repairing it.

I dropped it so often in that first year, that I would have been crying if it was new. As it was I just laughed. Most of the time I just dropped it trying to park. I wore a groove in the flowerbed in the front garden from landing in it.

Also, I have grey hair and I'm seriously balding, so when I moved up to the BMW RT, I was in the armchair biker category. Not seen as a high risk. My last premium was less than €300 TPFT, I still don't want to repair it if I crash, and it's 10 years old, and probably cheaper to replace than an Aprilla RSV.

Actually the 1100RT is easier to lift than the XJR400, or maybe I just got stronger after riding for a year. It's the leather that does it.

Anyhow, sorry I have no advice for you on the insurance thing. I'm with Carole Nash for what its worth and have now clocked up a full no claim bonus, easy to do when the bike has been off the road for the last 2 winters due to rider injuries and cold intollerance brough on by old age :eek:

Happy biking and keep the rubber side down.

Back