Why is accounting period only 6 months

pflangan

Hi,

I just got a request from revenue to submit preliminary corporation tax returns before the accounting period end.

I was under the impression that my company tax year lasted for 12 months from when the company was first registered.

I only registered the company at the end of October 2008, and I'm being asked to submit corporation tax returns by 30th april.

?

As per Revenue website... http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/ct/payment.html ....

"New or Start-up companies with a Corporation Tax liability of €200,000 or less for their first accounting period will not be required to pay Preliminary Tax in respect of that first accounting period and will instead be required to pay their final Corporation Tax liability for that accounting period at the same time as they are required to submit their Corporation Tax return, i.e. within nine months after the end of the accounting period, subject to the 21/23 day rule..."

For companies that do have to pay preliminary corporation tax, the first payment is due 6 months into the accounting period. This suggests your accounting period (as filed on Form TR2) is 31st October 2009. I think you should ring your local Corporation Tax office to make enquiries...

It says on cro that the next ar date is 30/04/2009 - I used companysetup.ie to get it registered.

One the letter it says
Corporation Tax;
Notice of Preliminary Tax for the period 30th Oct 2008 to 30th Apr 2009.

fogetaboutit

just spoke to revenue and they said it was a mistaken date on the system.

Back