Why hold shares for the long term?

Stock exchage talk

does anyone known about "bid" and "offer" for shares.what does this mean for a person holding shares.Is "offer" the amount of money they will get for the shares and "bid" is the amount you buy them for?

Aswell as that does anyone know what the amount of deals does for a companies share price .if they have a lot of deals done does the share price go up normally?

I have seen this stuff on the irish stock exchange website.this is the kind of information they give you about the companies.do you think it is any use for picking good stock that might go up???

Re: Stock exchage talk

does anyone known about "bid" and "offer" for shares.what does this mean for a person holding shares.Is "offer" the amount of money they will get for the shares and "bid" is the amount you buy them for?

If you are a buyer then you will pay the offer price to buy shares. If you are a seller then you will get the bid price when selling. Obviously these are "of the moment" figures and market dynamics mean that they are only indicative for subsequent trades. The difference between these two prices represents the bid-offer spread. This often applies to actual shares as well as units of a unit linked fund. Some markets or brokers may not quote bid and offer (or ask) prices but simple the "last trade" price instead.

Aswell as that does anyone know what the amount of deals does for a companies share price .if they have a lot of deals done does the share price go up normally?

Brokers normally charge per trade. Note that purchases also involve 1% stamp duty on Irish shares.

www.askaboutmoney.com/clu...OCKBROKING

I have seen this stuff on the irish stock exchange website.this is the kind of information they give you about the companies.do you think it is any use for picking good stock that might go up???

Nobody can time the markets or predict the future with any accuracy (short of illegal insider trading...).

Re: Stock exchage talk

this is the kind of information they give you about the companies.do you think it is any use for picking good stock that might go up???

Before you even think of buying shares do a bit of groundwork on shares in general. Browse the Finance section of a Bookstore, I'd reccomend Buffetology, or one of the Bernice Cohen books. But there are many others.

Once you've done that, you might like to pick a "fantasy" portfolio, give yourself say...€100,000 and see how you do over the course of a year or two (it's not that long).

If you want to get your feet wet immediately, look up some Mechanical Investing stragtegies (I don't reccoment doing this without at least reading the books).

Don't just think of it as investing. If you don't enjoy reading these books, and you don't think of investing as a hobby of sorts then you're most likely better off handing you're money over to a professional.

It's a bit like trying to build a Conservatory even though you hate building and DIY. Better to just pay someone to do it because you won't have the interest in working out the right way, and you won't be able to handle the set backs.

-Rd

-Rd

"Professional Analyst??"

The link that you gave us merely illustrate that there are good fund managers and bad ones. Just like me throwing a rock onto the street and hit a cab. Can I therefore conclude that rocks have affinity for cabs?

Re: "Professional Analyst??"

The link that you gave us merely illustrate that there are good fund managers and bad ones.

Yes - but (a) statistically this year's "good fund manager" could just as easily be next year's "bad fund manager" and vice versa (b) past performance is no guide to future performance/returns and (c) things arguably tend to balance out over time so that the one generally reliable (over the long term) way to benefit from stock market growth is to simply buy and hold long term rather than depending on somebody else's supposed expertise in timing the market and selecting the "right" stocks. Obviously this does not obviate the need for assessment of the underlying company fundamentals when selecting stocks in the first place (so that you don't buy something really dodgy/risky - unless that fits the risk/reward profile of your investment strategy!) but ultimately there is no magic and NOBODY can predict the future.

Just like me throwing a rock onto the street and hit a cab. Can I therefore conclude that rocks have affinity for cabs?

Just like one fund manager picking a high performing stock at one point in time. Can I therefore conclude that s/he will continue to do so into the future?

Irish stock Exchange Building

has anyone been on the Irish Stock Exchange website.They give you information about what is going on with the company.

But there is one certain information i don`t understand.
It says number of "DEALS" and "turnover".

Is the number of deals done by the company or are they talking about the number of share deals done.

When they talk about turnover is that the of money they made on the day???

Also does anyone know where the Irish Stock Exchange is in Dublin and is there a "floor" where the day traders can trade between each other. Is there a cost to enter if there is such a place??

Thanks

Re: Irish stock Exchange Building

But there is one certain information i don`t understand.
It says number of "DEALS" and "turnover".

Perhaps the glossary might help?

www.ise.ie/index.asp?locI...d=GLOSSARY

Also does anyone know where the Irish Stock Exchange is in Dublin and is there a "floor" where the day traders can trade between each other.

Their contact details should be on the website (isn't responding for me or is very slow right now) but they used to be in Anglesea Street. I think that the exchange is largely electronic nowadays but they may still have/use a dealing floor. However this is generally restricted to brokers or their agents and retail daytraders (in the sense of members of the public who trade frequently) need to go through brokers as normal.

Back