Why do self employed people not get social welfare?

But to exclude self employed on low income from social welfare payments like Back to school allowance is in my opinion mean.

All selfemployed who earned low income/less than SW rate in past 12 months are entitled to Jobseekers Allowance.If self-employment continues and earnings are low,top up to SW rates are paid.This is and always was,so.Many "media experts" regularly trot out that self-employed cannot claim dole.This is untrue,but a self-employed person must show that

1)Self-employment has ceased

or

2) If self-employment is continuing,income from self-employment is below
SW rates.The weekly difference is paid.

This is JA but for Self Employed JB is not payable and for JA spouses income is taken into account.

What happens if Self employed person has investment property that they cannot sell or cannot rent? Is the value of the investment property taken into account and how is it valued?

But to exclude self employed on low income from social welfare payments like Back to school allowance is in my opinion mean.

All selfemployed who earned low income/less than SW rate in past 12 months are entitled to Jobseekers Allowance.If self-employment continues and earnings are low,top up to SW rates are paid.This is and always was,so.Many "media experts" regularly trot out that self-employed cannot claim dole.This is untrue,but a self-employed person must show that

1)Self-employment has ceased

or

2) If self-employment is continuing,income from self-employment is below
SW rates.The weekly difference is paid.
The point, I think, that Rumplestiltz is making is not regarding the income limits in general. Rather, S/E cannot apply for FIS which has a higher income limit based on number of kids. This rules them out of the Back to School Allowance and higher CB rates, which are available if one is in receipt of FIS.
I agree though that the perception that S/E cannot qualify for, say, JA is bandied about by the media.

This is JA but for Self Employed JB is not payable and for JA spouses income is taken into account.

What happens if Self employed person has investment property that they cannot sell or cannot rent? Is the value of the investment property taken into account and how is it valued?

For JA,investment property is taken into account.It is valued on its
estimated current market value less any outstanding mortgage.If the
nett value is over 40,000 it will effect rate of payment.

If the
nett value is over 40,000 it will effect rate of payment.

All capital over 20k is taken into account (including assessment of any nett property value other than family home), not 40k (you may be thinking of joint assessment for a couple?).

Back