why can't I pay clampers in cash?

locum-motion

If a debt exists, and the debtor offers cash to the creditor but they refuse to take it, what's the story?
I'm sure I heard sometime, somewhere that you can just walk away, and there's no debt anymore. I realise it's probably just an urban myth, though!

The question arises because of what happened to me recently. I got clamped, and the release fee was €80. Now, as it happens, I don't believe I should have been clamped in the first place, but I understand the procedure in that case is to pay the fee and appeal afterwards, so I fully intended to pay the clamp release fee. So, for the moment, let's just assume that a debt existed. My problem is with methods of payment.

As it happens, my current account was just about tapped out at the time, credit card ditto, and I had €85 in cash on me. So I rang them up and asked for a declamp.

Them: Sure, no problem, just give us your CC or Laser number.
Me: No can do, I'm afraid. I have the cash, I'll give it to the driver.
Them: No, our drivers don't carry cash.
Me: Doesn't matter, I have the right amount, I don't need change.
Them: No, we don't take cash.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, at this point I've made a very reasonable attempt to pay the debt in cash money, all in notes (though it would be fun to give them 8,000 1c coins, wouldn't it?), and I didn't even need change. Is there any form of tender that's more legal than that? If they have refused to accept the payment, offered freely, what moral obligation have I to offer them anything else? As far as I can see, absolutely none. And if, morally, I don't owe them anything, then surely they're just holding my car for ransom, aren't they? I even - briefly - considered walking roung to the Garda Station to report them, but then I thought about how that conversation would go. Just curious as to what the legal position might be.

None of this cogitation on my part was getting my car released, though, so I had to give in to their demands and go pay in a shop and ring them back with a voucher number. Luckily the shop was only about 2/3 of a mile away, but I presume there are parts of Dublin where you'd have to walk much further than that. And to top it all off, they won't even think of dispatching the van to wherever you are until after you've paid. They say they'll try to get them to you within an hour after that!

I ended up leaving an hour after I should have.The (Insert your own choice of abusive expletive here)!!!!!

Re: What if a creditor refuses to take your cash?

Dunno much about the legal requirements, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me to expect you to go to the nearest shop to pay. Having their field staff collecting cash would be a huge can of worms, in terms of security and management.

Dunno much about the legal requirements, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me to expect you to go to the nearest shop to pay. Having their field staff collecting cash would be a huge can of worms, in terms of security and management.

Thanks for your input.

Having to go to the shop isn't too unreasonable if there's one close by. It's very unreasonable if there isn't. What if a driver's injured and using crutches? What if they're in a wheelchair? (Can someone with a Disabled Driver badge get clamped if they park in the wrong place? I don't know)

Carrying (a small amount of) cash in the van shouldn't be a problem. There's two guys in the van anyway, and it's not difficult to install a small safe with a drop-chute in a van. The keys to the safe can be left back at HQ, as the driver doesn't need to be able to take cash out of it.

I've paid delivery drivers in cash and cheques on numerous occasions. (deliveries of blocks, sand, oil etc)

I was taught in Economics at LC level about 15 years ago that if you offer cash to pay a bill and it's refused, then the debt is cleared.
You could pay in any denomination (up to a limit of say. 1 pound in 1p coins in the pre-Euro days) but it was defined and it was legal.

Now, the clamping company may say that they take payment in cash at the HQ, which gets around the legal constraints, if it still exists.

How do they give change?

OK, slight modification to my post.
Perhaps driver would carry a small number of €20 notes to give change out of €100.
But each payment of €80, or each pair of €50's for when people don't have €80, would be placed in an envelope and dropped in the chute. Therefore if driver gets robbed, max taken is the 5 or so €20 notes he carries.

I was taught in Economics at LC level about 15 years ago that if you offer cash to pay a bill and it's refused, then the debt is cleared.
You could pay in any denomination (up to a limit of say. 1 pound in 1p coins in the pre-Euro days) but it was defined and it was legal.

Now, the clamping company may say that they take payment in cash at the HQ, which gets around the legal constraints, if it still exists.

Thanks you. That's the kind of answer I was looking for!

In relation to coins:

50 coins in euros or in cents is the max that is considered legal tender in Ireland

No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction

Marion

In relation to coins:

50 coins in euros or in cents is the max that is considered legal tender in Ireland

Marion

Yeah, I know. So my suggestion about giving 8,000 1c coins was never gonna fly, was it?
Still, what I said was; it would be fun if you could!

Yeah, I know. So my suggestion about giving 8,000 1c coins was never gonna fly, was it?
I guess not!

My comment was not aimed at you (I would have quoted your text) but at others who might not be aware of the 50-coin rule. We are a community board.

Though I think that there are many, including myself, who would have loved to do this. ;)

Marion

There's a couple of factors why they dont take cash. First off insurance reasons,if they get robbed they are not insured. Second would be that if they did carry cash it would leave them open to so many problems with the public, ie is he taking back handers,assaults,media etc. You can pay over the phone,net or in over 30 locations around the city, just like the toll bridge.

First off insurance reasons,if they get robbed they are not insured.

Do you really think that there's no insurance product the company could purchase, particularly if there was a drop-chute safe in the van?

Second would be that if they did carry cash it would leave them open to so many problems with the public, ie is he taking back handers,assaults,media etc.

2 guys in the van, receipts issued, safe in the van...

You can pay over the phone,net or in over 30 locations around the city, just like the toll bridge.

30 locations? In a city of over 1,000,000 people? Not exactly every street corner, is it?

There's a couple of factors why they dont take cash. First off insurance reasons,if they get robbed they are not insured. Second would be that if they did carry cash it would leave them open to so many problems with the public, ie is he taking back handers,assaults,media etc. You can pay over the phone,net or in over 30 locations around the city, just like the toll bridge.

I have handed over €500 to a driver delivering oil , and none of this was an issue.

I was Just clamped on Wednesday and they do take cash now?? but i didnt trust the clampers looked like they had just been released if you know what i mean

Back