Whom can i get to measure the actual square footage of a new apartment?

nicky40

Can anyone advise whom i can get to measure the actual square footage of an apartment. Would i need to contact a surveyor / auctioneer / engineer ???
I am getting conflicting sizes from the auctioneer/builder of the apartment to the size quoted by the valuer? The valuer size is smaller, so i would like to get my own independant measurement before the sale closes.
I was told that my apartment was dearer as it was supposed to be bigger than other apartment in the block?

Any idea how much this would cost, or if anyone know of someone in Leixlip /
West dublin who can do this calculation?

Why not measure it yourself?! Bear in mind that the quoted area(s) may include the thickness of any internal and external walls (of the property - not boundary!) and other non usable/inaccessible space (e.g. enclosed under stairs spaces etc.). I know that the EBS valuation survey for our house quoted a round 80sqm even though that was just an approximate area.

Ill do it, it would be embaressingly easy and you could do it your self.

The difference may be the valuer has been in to the completed unit and has measured all the rooms and added them up to get the total - fine makes sense.

but...

The developer has measured the entire outer perimeter to the centre of your walls as they only had this info on CAD or a drwaing when they came up ith their figures - pre build I am assuming here.

No allowances are made for wall thicknesses when selling 2nd hand when an agent meaures up so it an ineresting anomily that seems to have come up and of course in the developers favour when they quote you areas off plan.

Any EAs confirm that it is sum total of all useful room areas and stores and does not include wall thicknesses is standrad?

The apartment is a corner unit so the hall and living room are awkward shapes so would be difficult to measure. Also, if i am going to argue with the builder about the size, i'm going to have to get a professional in to do it i persume, as they won't accept my calculations.

By any chance is the difference down to a balcony/patio area? This was the difference between the measurement made by the surveryor & the builder's measurement in my apt. OH queried this with the estate agent when we were closing - EA claimed that all apt measurements nowadays include the balcony, and that it was 'living space' so OH said in that case, no-one would object to him putting a a roof on it! EA didn't know what to say to that!!:p

Back