who pays gas bill

lurcher

Hi,
i have seen similar problem to this before but i cant find the thread, basically i am renting out a house,old tennant has moved out & a new one is now living in the rented house.The old tennant has left an unpaid gas bill & new tennant obviously wont pay it.Gas is now turned off & gas company keep sending out bill to house.I have only just learned of this & havent contacted gas comp yet.The new tennant has but he tells me that gas comp wont turn gas back on untill gas bill is paid which i can understand.I am the landlord & was hopeing for advice/tips before i contact the gas comp, i know i have seen this prob here before.Any advice appreciated.

eat the bill yourself

if you still have the old tenants deposit,deduct it from that

contact them and see if they will pay,dont hold your breath

It was my post more than likely.

I had the very same problem, old tennants left unpaid gas bill for 1,078 euro. The bill was in my name as B-Gais wanted a 200 euro fee to change the name over and I was not going to pay or expect the tennant to pay every time a new lease was signed. However the long and short of it I had to pay it before the turned the gas off on the new tennants.

Board Gais were not understanding at all.

Hopefully your tennants are better than mine and will agree to pay, Good luck.

A

You might be as well to pay it, otherwise your new tenants may move out to a warmer house!! If however the name of the bill was in the old tenants the gas company should be chasing them at their new address and be putting the gas on.
You've learned a valuable lesson here. when tenants are changing hands make sure all bills are paid on the house before returning the deposit.

The bill is in old tennants name,i rang bord gais today.I explained the situation & i was surprised when she said the gas would be turned back on once the new tennant paid a deposit of 400euro.Bord gais would then return this when the new tennant moved on.If the new tennant was in arrears at that stage when they were moving on they would deduct the arrears from the 400euro deposit.Iasked about the outstanding arrears {816EURO} she said that was bord gais problem & it was up to them to go after old tennant for this.I feel this situation is fair enough & when i told the tennant he was happy with this also.
Thanks everyone for replys.

Glad there is some sort of solution in this for you. If the new tenant finds it hard to get that money together there would be no harm in helping putting something towards it, but make sure it is all documented and signed for.

Bord Gais may be happy to have a direct debit in place rather than the deposit.

Back