who is responsible for fire safety inspections

ok I can try to do that, hopefully it's not difficult to find someone that can do that.

The doubt still remains on whether or not someone that has a non compliant door is responsible for the entire block. The more I think about it the more seems absurd. Insurance companies would never pay if that was the case, as I imagine there is always at least one door in each block that could be not up to code.
Maybe this is not the right place to ask though.
Thanks all for providing your point of view and suggestions

yes there is a closer but the additional locks need to be closed by a key from the outside, otherwise you can still open with the handle.
I don't understand why it's a problem for the fire brigade. If someone is inside and leaves why should they need to gain access? If instead no one is home and we closed the locks, wouldn't they have to break in if they needed to gain access?
Just trying to understand more.
We were locked into an apartment when a guest inadvertently locked the Chubb lock when they left. Took a bit of rooting around to find a key.

Last edited:
that's probably why it's better to have thumbturn locks. Again no problem with that, I'm trying to understand the insurance bit.

If your door is a fire door it will be tagged as such. There'll be a metal plate, mechanically fixed (screwed/pinned) to the door that will have the fire rating, door number, year of manufacture and manufacturer at a minimum. So something like FD30s D01.23456 2023.

The door number can be cross referenced against drawings provided to the Fire Consultant for the build, this informs the door type and from there independent test reports and global assessments for the door are available. These should be included in the handover file given to the OMC by the builder.

The global assessments tell you what hardware can be fitted to the door without compromising the fire rating, how to fit it and if anything additional is needed to maintain the integrity.

If you are concerned about fire safety WITHIN your apartment I'd suggest you contact a fire safety consultant yourself and pay them to assess it for you - the information in the docuements I have mentioned is a bit technical so you'd be best to get a professional in.

than you JammyD for explaining all this. I don't have any fire certificate and my management company is practically useless, asking for one will produce no effects. I need to find a fire safety consultant.
If I look on the door do you think I can use the code to find the specifications online?

than you JammyD for explaining all this. I don't have any fire certificate and my management company is practically useless, asking for one will produce no effects. I need to find a fire safety consultant.
If I look on the door do you think I can use the code to find the specifications online?
Hard to say if all of the info will be contained on the door tag but if you want to post a pic I can take a look if that helps

Back