Which mortgage package should I choose?

gebbel

Re: Best Value Tracker Mortgage Rates (more than 60% LTV)

Hi all,

Have just agreed to buy a 2 bed Apartment for 267,000 Euro in Drogheda. Am now in the process of getting a mortgage. I am using a broker I found on the internet (reputable, i believe), in this regard. I met with their consultant yesterday. The choices are a bit confusing. I am inclined to go for a 95% mortgage (even though I could raise enough of a deposit to only need a 92% mortgage, however this would leave me with nothing for the "rainy day".
Any advice from anyone? Would I be crazy to choose a 95% and remain financially "comfortable" or go for it, and put all disposable cash into getting a 92% version? What are the things I should consider? This is unchartered territory for me, and I am slightly worried I will get unsound advice from the broker.

Why are you worried about the advice you are getting from the broker?

If you are borrowing on a variable or tracker mortgage rate you can repay a lump sum whenever you wish without penalty so there's no 'risk' with taking a 95% mortgage (or 93/94%).

Sarah

www.rea.ie

If you choose the 95% option you will still have money to do any necessary fit outs on the appartment that you may wish to do.

Why are you worried about the advice you are getting from the broker?

If you are borrowing on a variable or tracker mortgage rate you can repay a lump sum whenever you wish without penalty so there's no 'risk' with taking a 95% mortgage (or 93/94%).

Sarah

www.rea.ie

Sorry, this may sound silly but I was thinking that the Broker could have a vested interest in me choosing a 95% mortgage over a 92% one, (in terms of commission paid etc.) as surely a financial institution will make more profit for a longer repayment time.

I can understand why you think that but you're wrong. The maximum commission paid is based on a percentage of the loan amount, the term is irrelevant. If the broker is producing enough business and is spreading it reasonably equally between the lenders he/she has agencies with the commission will be 1% of the loan amount across the board with the exception of Bank of Scotland who pay 0.9%. There should be no reason why your broker can not tell you who is paying him/her what.

Roll on full disclosure of mortgage commission!

Sarah

www.rea.ie

Back