Which banks have agreed to implement the Deferred Interest Scheme

Brendan Burgess

Founder
DÁIL QUESTION

NO

To ask the Minister for Finance if he will provide details of the financial institutions which are currently implementing the recommendation of a deferred interest scheme as set out by Expert Group on Mortgage Arrears and Personal Debt; and if he will make a statement on the matter.

- Michael McGrath.

* For WRITTEN answer on Tuesday, 19th April, 2011.

Ref No: 8374/11

Minister for Finance ( Mr Noonan) :

The Central Bank has advised me that the following lenders have notified the Bank of their intention to implement the recommendation of a Deferred Interest Scheme (DIS), as set out in the final report of the Expert Group on Mortgage Arrears and Personal Debt:

• Allied Irish Banks,
  • AIB Mortgage Bank,
  • Bank of Ireland,
  • ICS Building Society,
  • EBS,
  • Haven Mortgages,
  • Irish Nationwide Building Society,
  • Permanent TSB,
  • Springboard Mortgages
  • Start Mortgages.

As at the end of December 2010, these named institutions held a market share of approximately 65% of the value of outstanding owner-occupier mortgages in the State.

The date at which lenders will be in a position to offer a DIS to borrowers varies. Some institutions expect to be in a position to offer the scheme by the middle of 2011.

So the main ones who have not agreed to implement a scheme are:

Ulster Bank and First Active
KBC
National Irish Bank
Bank of Scotland

In practice, these banks have similar schemes in place.

Update from 7 July

Michael McGrath (Cork South Central, Fianna Fail)Question 82: To ask the Minister for Finance the position regarding the roll-out of the deferred interest scheme as recommended by the Expert Group on Mortgage Arrears and Personal Debt. [19380/11]

Michael Noonan (Minister, Department of Finance; Limerick City, Fine Gael)
The Central Bank has advised me that the following lenders have notified the Bank of their decision/intention to implement the recommendation of a Deferred Interest Scheme (DIS) or a variation of it, as set out in the final report of the Expert Group on Mortgage Arrears and Personal Debt with the following effective dates:

Mortgage Lender|Effective Date
Allied Irish Banks|Final quarter of 2011
AIB Mortgage Bank|Final quarter of 2011
Bank of Ireland|Implemented
ICS Building Society|Implemented
EBS|Implemented
Haven Mortgages|Implemented
Irish Nationwide Building Society|Third quarter of 2011
Permanent TSB|Will be implemented from 11 July 2011
Springboard Mortgages|Implemented
Start Mortgages|Final quarter of 2011

It is important to note that the DIS is a voluntary scheme, and as such all lenders do not have to sign up to it.

What banks are involved in the deferred interest scheme?

Does anybody know what banks are involved in the deferred interest scheme?

Are Acc Bank and Ulster Bank not involved with the scheme?

There seems to be very little information out there about the above.

Any information would be great please?

I don't think that UB has implemented the scheme. However, in practice, if you are engaging with them and paying 66% of the interest, they would not take further action.

Not sure about ACC, but I suspect it's the same.

I don't think ACC are implemented in the scheme.

Brendan, are the banks generally postponing repossession if 66% of the interest is being paid? I presume nothing is being paid off the capital? How long would the banks accept such a proposal for?

Back