Whether to overtake a slow moving vehicle where there is a continuous white line?

I actually heard a Traffic Corp sergeant on local radio say that it was ok to cross the continuous white line to overtake a slow moving vehicle "if it was safe to do so". That was a few years ago and I wish I had a recording of it.

Thanks Paddy

I would not interpret "Keeping leftt" as being "supposed to pull in..."

Most tractor journeys are short. When they are pulling large loads long distances, they are generally aware of holding up traffic and do pull into the hard shoulder so as not to cause traffic queues behind them. I doubt if they are obliged to do so.

I am speaking from a farmer point of view and as a professional driver point of view who drives trucks and hackneys you are obliged to do so as not to hold up emerency vehicles

I think the cyclist or tractor are suppose to pull in where it is safe to do so or they can be done for driving without due attention

you are obliged to do so as not to hold up emerency vehicles

They are two completely different things.

We all slow down or pull in to allow emergency vehicles to pass.

I don't think that a tractor has to pull in to allow ordinary traffic to pass.

From The Mayo News (7/8/2012):

"Another recent local court case has also caused debate. Judge Devins was also presiding. The judge disqualified a Newport farmer, Michael Nevin, from driving for one year when he failed to pull in to let a backlog of cars pass his tractor, which he was driving home from Balla Mart. He was fined on the spot by a Garda, but non-payment of that fine led him to court, where Judge Devins accused him of ‘arrogance’.
Garda John Daly told the court that he was stuck behind traffic doing approximately 20km/h on July 18, 2008. Up to 20 vehicles were held up by Mr Nevin, he said, who had five or six opportunities to pull over but did not. Mr Nevin told Garda Daly that he had the same right to be on the road as anyone else.
"

Link .

When are you allowed to cross a continuous white line?

When are you allowed to cross a continuous white line?

• To avoid an obstruction.
  • When directed to do so.
  • For access.
Found it here and here.

Back