Where to stay in Nice

Happy Girl

Hi, would appreciate any recommendations as to where to stay in Nice. Want nice reasonably priced hotel within walking distance of train station/centre of nice.

I've stayed in the Windsor hotel http://www.hotelwindsornice.com/, as have friends of mine, and no complaints. It's about a 10 mins walk to the train station or to the tramway line and a few mins walk to the Negresco if you want a slap-up meal.

I stayed in the Kyriad with my friend...lovely rooms and dead cheap (and near the station).

It was a bit like being in the Ghetto, but was clean, cheap and comfortable. This was a girly trip...if a couples thing - no way! but for 200 euro for two for four nights we weren't saying no!

Thanks folks for recommendations. Checked hotelwindsornice.com and coming in at 900euro for the week. Bit out of our budget. It's a weekend for myself & hubby so maybe Kyriad wouldnt suit. What you think?

Maybe I was a bit unfair on the Kyriad. The hotel itself was fine, and after one street out the location was ok. Very near the tram. Which very disconcertingly is the exact same as the luas with the same bell. Two stops to the old city. About 15 min walk. I used hotelscombined.com

hotels are coming in at huge costs so am now looking at possibility of renting an apartment. But its like looking for a needle in a haystack. Can anybody throw out the names of a few areas where we should narrow it down to. I would like somewhere within a short walking distance to the beach and main central area but above all I want to have a sense of safety and security when walking back to the apartment at night-time.

Eze is a different town, well worth seeing. I think Bono has a house there! In Nice anywhere in the city centre is probably good. There are a lot of apartments for rent along the Promenade des Anglais, Musciens Quarter and the old town and port area. The old town can be noisy and no lifts. The other areas are generally all fine.

Am actually just looking at Hotel Gounod at the moment. Is it a good central location? I also see that you can use the facilities of the Splendid Hotel next door (rooftop pool/jacuzzi appealing to me:)). Did you use the facilities.

Eze is a train stop away towards Monaco. So if you want specifically to stay in Nice not suitable. Anywhere off Promenade des Anglais in Nice is central.

The Promenade runs all the way out to the airport so anywhere west of Ave Gambetta on the prom would be a bit away from the city centre.

Am actually just looking at Hotel Gounod at the moment. Is it a good central location? I also see that you can use the facilities of the Splendid Hotel next door (rooftop pool/jacuzzi appealing to me:)). Did you use the facilities.

Have you looked at Google maps and Tripadvisor to see locations and reviews of the various Nice hotels? That's how we get a lot of our information when travelling. Very useful.

Got lovely reasonably priced studio apartment on Avenue Durant in the Musician area which appears to have great reviews on various websites. Will update this post after our visit. Thanks to everybody for contributions.

I have just returned from Nice and stayed in an apartment. If you are staying for more than a few days this is a great choice. The company I uses is called Pebbles Nice. We had lovely apartment and the company were very professional to deal with.

Ave Durante runs up to the train station so if you apartment in near there you can take the 99 express bus from the airport to the station. It costs €6 per person and runs every 30 minutes. It takes 25 minutes each way. A taxi would cost €30+. This is a good site on Nice; http://en.nicetourisme.com/
Pebbles Nice are a commission site so their charges are higher than if you book directly from owners.

Back