Where to sell antique furniture online.

Drakon

I've a few pieces of antique furniture to sell.
Is there any antique-specific website for sales in Ireland and/or the UK that AAM members can suggest I try?

I've googled a few websites but they appear to be for professional dealers only. I'm just a once-off private seller.

I've tried DoneDeal and this has been good for selling second hand (<€100 ) and vintage furniture (€350). However there has been no responses for the antique furniture (>€750) so I was thinking of trying an antiques specific sales website.

I realise that any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. However, for a niche market like antique furniture, it's important to get the right buyer to see the item.

Thanks.

Drakon,

Not sure what its like now, but 2 years ago we were trying to offload 3 pieces of antique furniture following a relatives bereavement.
I emailed photos to all the antique dealer shops on Francis St - no joy. I called into Adams on Stephens Green with same photos,
to get a rough valuation as I hadn't a clue where to start, spoke with a very nice chap who explained there is no demand for that type of furniture.
He said that the limited market are usually catered for by big house auctions. He said we would be lucky to get a buyer, preferably with a van to take it for a couple of hundred max. They would nearly be doing us a favour at that, if we could find one.

We ended up donating it to a charity that takes furniture who collected it for free.
Just relating a personal experience which may have changed since then.

Snowyb

Why do you want to sell it online? Why not take it to an auctioneer and just sell it in the normal manner and you avoid a lot of hassle.

Why do you want to sell it online? Why not take it to an auctioneer and just sell it in the normal manner and you avoid a lot of hassle.
To cut out the middleman. I'd an auctioneer come and have a look at it. He said "I'd probably get €300 for it."
Which means I'd be lucky to get €150 for it.

Not sure what its like now, but 2 years ago we were trying to offload 3 pieces of antique furniture following a relatives bereavement.
I emailed photos to all the antique dealer shops on Francis St - no joy. I called into Adams on Stephens Green with same photos,
to get a rough valuation as I hadn't a clue where to start, spoke with a very nice chap who explained there is no demand for that type of furniture.
He said that the limited market are usually catered for by big house auctions. He said we would be lucky to get a buyer, preferably with a van to take it for a couple of hundred max. They would nearly be doing us a favour at that, if we could find one.
Nothings changed. We had a lot what I thought would be sought after furniture which was passed on a few generations and after auction was lucky to break even. This was the Herman antique auction in Rathmines btw.

There is limited demand for old brown furniture these days. I used a rural house clearance auctioneer in the past, they charged 12.5% commission (+VAT) providing I delivered the furniture to them (which I was easily able to do). It was worth it as it took all the hassle away, I didn't have strangers calling to the house, arguing over the state of the goods etc. Mine was worth about €1000 so to me, the €125 I was charged was worth it but each to their own

I called into Adams on Stephens Green with same photos,

Yeah, I've gathered that. There was a time that people used to even "invest" in antiques, a bit like the way fine art and wine are trendy non-traditional investments at present. But from what I've been informed, prices haven't changed much in the last few decades.

He said that the limited market are usually catered for by big house auctions.
Yes, limited market. But in the internet age I'm surprised if there isn't a niche website. Take a few snaps, type a few lines, click "OK"... easy as.

We ended up donating it to a charity that takes furniture who collected it for free.
A lot of antique furniture is made from oak. The best firewood there is. There was a time I used to have respect for charities but they've really been exposed in the last few years. CRC, Rehab, Console, etc. Who is next? The last thing I want to do is fund the lifestyle of the next Paul Kelly.

I didn't have strangers calling to the house, arguing over the state of the goods etc. Mine was worth about €1000 so to me, the €125 I was charged was worth it but each to their own

Oh Jaysus no, I wouldn't go about it that way at all. I'd strict rules set out from the start.
I've had people calling by appointment but I've always had the item immediately inside the door, ready and waiting. I wouldn't fancy strangers wandering around the house like that. Plus, the natural daylight coming in the door leaves everything looking as good as it possible can.
The ads have been honest and accurate, also indicated any blemishes. No room for arguing.
And I only entertained haggling if there had been other interest.
Maybe when I'm down to a few hundred quids worth I'll bring in the clearance people.

Oh, and I've used eBay and Adverts.ie too.

I have sold on Adverts in the past. I would say that the "time wasters" number as high as 70% of enquiries. It can be a very frustrating job especially as you say you prepare the items inside the door ready and waiting. Then you have to remove them if the sale falls through until the next time.

I would suggest taking the long term view. If it sells it sells and if it doesn't it doesn't.

I would say that the "time wasters" number as high as 70% of enquiries.

I did notice some other adverts on DoneDeal had the (presumably useless) warning "NO TIMEWASTERS".
I must have put up 50 or so adverts at this point.
About a third have had no response.
A third have had one response.
The remainder have had multiple responses.
I've sold about half the adverts.
I've only had one timewaster, on the very first night. Phoned three times with garbled gibberish, etc, etc.
I just hung up and phoned back the following morning. Around 5:45am.
I also had the good sense to block my number for the call, unlike them.

Maybe the timewasters are more prevalent in Adveets rather than DoneDeal?

Your best bet is to put it into an auction. Although I understand your point about trying to cut out the middleman, there's a lot of private buyers who go to auctions. It's where anyone interested in buying that type of furniture tends to go. Dealers buy at auctions too, though they tend to only go for the best pieces. In other words, it's where the buyers are. Nothing stopping you trying ebay or Done Deal etc., but be prepared for timewasters and to be ultimately disappointed: they are more suited to more everyday items.

Back