When should you use hazard lights?

casiopea

Hi,

Recently when parking a car at our gate to move a heavy object into the apartment I turned on the hazard lights[*] as I was temporarily blocking the enterance and I wanted to show that Ill be moving. My husband said this is wrong and the only circumstance you should use your hazard lights is in accident. I will put my hands up here and say Im not the worlds best driver (not a great parker for example) but I always try to error on the side of caution (ie never go above speed limits etc). What is the correct use for the hazard lights?

cas.

[*] By hazard lights I mean the red button with the triangle that turns on both indicator lights flashing at once.

you can only use hazards when you are a taxi driver driving along in the rain at 40 mph and you decide to slew accross the road to pick up a fair!

don't know what the official line is but I think most people would agree with you and when they see a car parked across a driveway with its hazards on they take it to mean the person is only there for a short period of time.

casiopea said:
My husband said this is wrong and the only circumstance you should use your hazard lights is in accident.

Well, I don't know if that's the only reason why someone should use the hazard lights, but they are used in other circumstances, to prevent accidents for example, if the traffic suddenly stop (because a car stalled or something) then activating the hazard lights is a way to advise traffic behind you that something is wrong, and to act cautiously. Also, quite handy if you are stopped waiting for someone inside the car or loading/unloading, and want to advise following traffic that you are only there temporarily.

gar123 said:
you can only use hazards when you are a taxi driver driving along in the rain at 40 mph and you decide to slew accross the road to pick up a fair!

True, so true

I thought that they were for saying "thanks" when another road user yields to you?

haz·ard n.
A chance; an accident.
A chance of being injured or harmed; danger: Space travel is full of hazards.
A possible source of danger: a fire hazard.
Games. A dice game similar to craps.
Sports. An obstacle, such as a sand trap, found on a golf course.

I would have thought that definition 2 and 3 above would allow for a wide usage of HAZARD lights. If you are a possible source of danger or you see yourself in danger of injuring or harming someone then you illustrate this by hazard lights.

ClubMan said:
I thought that they were for saying "thanks" when another road user yields to you?

Do Irish drivers still do this...?!?!!

Just kidding!

Don't remember anything specific from the rules of the road, so I'd say that their usage is very much an issue of personal judgement.

In this case, you could argue that since you had stopped temporarily in an unsuitable place, you represented a possible hazard to another driver who may not have expected you to be there, hence you used your hazard lights to warn of a potentially dangerous situation....

..... that should shut him up! ;)

casiopea said:
Hi,

Recently when parking a car at our gate to move a heavy object into the apartment I turned on the hazard lights
[*] as I was temporarily blocking the enterance and I wanted to show that Ill be moving. My husband said this is wrong and the only circumstance you should use your hazard lights is in accident. I will put my hands up here and say Im not the worlds best driver (not a great parker for example) but I always try to error on the side of caution (ie never go above speed limits etc). What is the correct use for the hazard lights?

cas.

[*] By hazard lights I mean the red button with the triangle that turns on both indicator lights flashing at once.

Your husband is always right never ever forget this vital piece of information by way of apology cook him a nice steak dinner and have his favourite beer chilled and waiting while you slip into something skimpy and very apologetic. :)

Heh heh heh ;)

Back