What's Going On with An Post?

It says it all about about the sorry state of the past and present An Post Management when they can pay posties €45k per year (up to €70k per year with overtime) in Dublin.

The management should be sacked for gross misconduct and the posties should get real. They're already overpaid for what is an unskilled job.

Perhaps what is needed is competition within all areas of the postal market so that the likes of DHL, TNT, etc could get a shot to see if they could provide a service better than the current 'banana republic' service we have.

Maybe the posties wouldn't be so keen to go on strike then!

Don't forgot though that the overtime is caused by poor managment - ban on recruitment, machinery that didn't do the job so the management cause the overtime to get the post delivered. Don't see how you can say 440 euro a week MAX basic pay is overpaid? Very few posties actually earn big overtime though the media love to use that figure rather than the basic 440 one funnily.

I dont understand how someone on €440 per week can earn 70k if the working week as laid down under eu laws is observed. obviously not observed in this case anyway ( I suspect it is a case as against several cases) so who to blame?. the worker who worked day ( he/she had to to get those earnings) and night or the management that a) allowed it happen b) probably rostered it

Over time is not down to bad management in An Post but to ancient work practices which the unions refuse to allow be overhauled....
i.e. Postman X does his round - it takes him 4 hours. He gets a full days pay for this (8 hours). He can now go home or have a 2nd job. But as there's always a lot of posties out sick he's asked to do another round for Postman Y. This takes him 3 hours to do. Does this get included in his regular day as he's still unver 8 hours for the day....does it hell!!!! He gets double time for those 3 hours as it's considered overtime.
That example explains how some postmen can double their basic in overtime without doing more than the basic 8 hours a day. And this goes on a lot...and yes a lot of post rounds in big cities/towns especially Dublin can only last 3 or 4 hours. There's 1 round in Dublin that lasts 2 hours and is the most coveted....

Granted, the mgmt are no great shakes in An Post but the govt seem to be siding with them so 1 must suspect that the way they're letting things deteriorate, suits the govt's plan......

you could be right del but I dont think it applies in the country for instance. Dad says that on his driving route he covered about 60 miles a day on average and taken with going up and down lanes and stopping at about 300/400 hundred houses a day I dont think it would be possible to do it in much less than a full day. He also said that if postmen drivers observed the law on putting on seat belts every time they got out to deliver a letter/package that they would be out till midnight so they didn't put them on in his day. dont know about now as that would mean penalty points. also said that a lot of packages/parcels have barcodes on them so that when you call to a house you have to ring to get someone to sign for the parcel. said this was very time consuming especially somethings called cattle tags which he said added hours to a rural delivery . he also said that the overtime in his office was watched 'like a hawk' by the overseer and often he didnt get paid for extra hours. ie when the esb or phone bills came out as the overseer said this was 'part and parcel of his work' despite the fact that on tests you are only given credit for calling to a percentage of the houses daily. so maybe the problem is confined to dublin but why then don't management specify this or whould that exacerbate the problems?

>He also said that if postmen drivers observed the law on putting on seat belts every time they got out to deliver a letter/package that they would be out till midnight so they didn't put them on in his day. dont know about now as that would mean penalty points<

Jeez I've heard some flimsy excuses in my time and that's up there with the best of them! So lets see it takes oh about 2 seconds to put on a seat belt, so lets multiply that by 2 for putting on and taking off, and by the 300/400 houses he delivered to a day, that adds up to a grand total of less than 30 minutes in the day - hardly brings him up to midnight does it!!

I sent a registered letter last week. The online package tracking website tells me that went 'out for delivery' on Weds last. Has the guy not come home yet?

:D thats funny. maybe hes on overtime. cb: you should think of joining the olympic team:rolleyes: .

Back