What would you do ..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

longpockets

A company name that I really wanted to use is similar to another business name that is registered with the cro.When I say similar its two words and these two words describe the type of business that we are both in or will be in.This other name that I am being classed as being similar to has not been set up as a limited company just as a business name.It also has no website set up or url registered.

So I went away and checked that name that I wanted to use .The cro says it is okay and will register this as a company no problem at all however they have said I could be liable for "passing off"...I personally dont think this other name/person is even trading as I have done a bit of searching.

Now I do not want to go ahead and start this business and turn it into a multi million pound empire !!!!!! (i wish) only for this other person to come out of the woodwork and demand compensation and claim passing off...

What would you do in this situation..Go ahead and register the company and set up the company website..? and hope this passing off thing never happens..? Has there been any cases of this even is it hard to prove.

or think of a different company name entirely just in case guy does come out of the woodwork and claim "passing off ",loss of business etc..??

Thanks in advance,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back