What type of base is needed for a metal shed

NewEdition

I intend to get one of the metal sheds.
It will have a fair bit of stuff in it, so I want to be sure that the foundation is strong.
How have people prepared this base?

Does it need to be flat all over, or is it a matter of having a block on each corner?
Or are the supports required width ways of length ways?

If you don,t have a level /solid foundation and the shed sinks even a bit , because its metal, it will warp badly .
Better to get in the Readymix found .

Right - So what do you recommend?

I am thinking:
Square the area off with some thick wood, raised about 6 inches off the ground.
The area of this would be about a foot wider than the shed allowing a little step up to it.
I have loads of old bricks and blocks lying around - I would smash them up and hammer them into the ground.
Then fill the remaining area with ballast sand / cement.
How does that sound?

Sounds very amateurish NewEdition. Unless you're pretty good at the bit of DIY i'd be telling you to go get a good local fella in to give you a price. The foundation needs to be dug out, measured properly, filled with proper stone and depending on the size of shed and what you're putting into it you may need a bit of steel before pouring concrete. Allow space outside that for the piping to take away water from the roof, both sides. Then again you may only be putting in a very small shed but we don't know that. Anyway, if it's worth doing, do it right and it might last your lifetime.

Ah, well, I would be pretty handy, but would get a buddy to help me out.
Its not a big shed, have yet to measure, but its probably going to be 8ft x 8ft or thereabouts.
Not massive!

I am thinking:
The area of this would be about a foot wider than the shed allowing a little step up to it.
I have loads of old bricks and blocks lying around - I would smash them up and hammer them into the ground.
How does that sound?
That would be plenty for an 8x8 shed
If you can lay your hands on any scraps of rebar,chicken wire or old grids from an oven or any thing like that to throw in it would be helpfull.
Put some plastic sheet down before the pour and let the concrete dry fully and seal it.
Metal sheds can be full of condensation.

I am thinking:
How does that sound?

If it's that sort of shed that requires planning permission I'd go with noproblem's advice.
Otherwise what you describe here is appropriate.

That would be plenty for an 8x8 shed
If you can lay your hands on any scraps of rebar,chicken wire or old grids from an oven or any thing like that to throw in it would be helpfull.
Put some plastic sheet down before the pour and let the concrete dry fully and seal it.
Metal sheds can be full of condensation.

Thanks for that - Can I ask, what is "rebar" and what do you mean by sealing the concrete after it dries?

Rebar = reinforcing bar. Required for larger slabs that will take considerable weight to prevent cracking.

Sealing generally involves a paint or other covering to prevent the concrete producing dust over time prevent moisture migrating into the shed through the concrete.

Would it not be better to put a membrane underneath as a sealer could wear off?

Back