What to expect from sellers Estate Agent?

BetsyClark

Hi

I am new to buying property in Ireland and wonder if anyone can tell me what I should expect from the sellers Estate Agent. They seem reluctant to talk to me. I put in a bid last Tuesday – just 2k above the asking price and opening bid. On Thursday a friend called to enquire if there was any interest in the property and was told about my bid, so at least I know they have acknowledged it, and are being honest to any other prospective buyers.

On Friday I called to see if there was any feedback and was told someone would call me back – that didn’t happen. Today I called again and politely asked if there was any feedback re my offer, and again was promised a call back. and nothing has happened …..

I feel in a real limbo as I understand I am not the client but am frustrated and a little impatient as I am a genuine buyer and have no idea if my offer has been taken seriously or if the seller has been told …….

What should I expect? Is this normal behaviour?

Betsy

Last edited:
It depends on the Estate Agent.I went through this frustration last year with a well known Estate Agent.I'd put a bid in, hear nothing for a few days, ring again to be told they would ring back.The market was different then and they where basically keeping it on the market as long as possible.They where even having extra viewings even though 3 of us where in a bidding war.I eventually withdrew in sheer frustration.They did get big money at the time with this tactic but I would have thought, with the current market they would be promptly returning your call even if there is no news.
Sometimes the vendor can't make up their minds and are hoping for a counterbid.
How badly do you want the house.Put in an ultimatum .If you don't get a response you are withdrawing your offer.
Say to who ever is answering the EA's phone you will call to the vendoe and deal directly with them.This should put a rocket under the EA

Not normal behaviour. That should be a good enough offer to secure the property in this environment. Why dont you write a note and put it in the sellers letter box just i case the EA hasn't given your offer to the sellers.

Hi and thanks for your responses,

The property is empty, and derelict so I can't deal with the vendors. However I could ask the neighbours if they can let me know who the seller is ......

Thing is I really want this place so am afraid to issue any ultimatum and cut my nose off to spite my face etc ...........

Betsy

Hi and thanks for your responses,

The property is empty, and derelict so I can't deal with the vendors. However I could ask the neighbours if they can let me know who the seller is ......

Contacting the vendor is a futile exercise in my opinion. They only want somebody to pay the highest amount possible, and don`t care who. At the end of the day it is still very much a sellers market

Back