what paperwork will i receive when i finally complete purcha

E

EBMITIE

This may be a daft question but I made the mistake of going to see my solicitor when things needed to be signed rather than have them posted to me. I foolishly did this thinking I would speed up the process. I needn't have bothered made not a jot of difference. If the items were posted I would have copied everything but now all I have is a few letters and the completion statement ie the final bill.

What am I entitled to?

By the way this has been a very poor advertisement for the solicitors in Ireland, he would not return my calls, went on holiday when completion was supposed to take place, did not tell me either, said he only got contracts for 10% on 15th Dec, other solicitor says they were sent 7th dec, now that completion date had to be moved still wont contact me. Completion date was moved because he never formally told me that it was agreed so I could not get house insurance/life policy in place on time. I even had to use a courier last friday to enusre EBS had policy Friday afternoon so cheque would go out today.I was advised today by lending institution he will have loan cheque tommorrow by courier. We are the only ones involved ie no chain, house is empty. I want to get shot of him asap but if he wont take calls what can I do? Very poor show. I did email him and fax him a letter last Friday to say best date would be 18th Feb, not a word. I am using the scheme via the credit uinion €999.00 plus vat. It is cheap but not that cheap.

I think he has let the side down or is this the norm in Ireland?

Totally disillusioned and gutted that house prices have risen so fast in UK.

ebmitie

Re: what paperwork will i receive when i finally complete pu

I made the mistake of going to see my solicitor when things needed to be signed rather than have them posted to me.

Not a mistake - the solicitor should witness your signature on everything. Particularly the mortgage - as proof as that you did actually sign it.

If the items were posted I would have copied everything
Ask now in writing for copies of anything you want - e.g. the contract, replies to requisitions, copy of executed Deed on completion

By the way this has been a very poor advertisement for the solicitors in Ireland
Perhaps A SOLICITOR rather than ALL SOLICITORS

Not taking calls is very bad but equally I have clients who phone me ( or rather who would phone me if allowed) on an hourly basis for no reason. I will not take their calls. But they are kept informed so in fact there is no need for the calls.

Ideally, you should have received a letter at the start clearly setting out what was involved, the time frame and also very specifically what you had to do e.g. life policy, house insurance and direct debit ( although all that information would have been on your formal letter of loan offer)

I think the low cost fees are ideal for people who have been through the process before and can quite clearly see where they fit in and what they have to do in what is quite a labour intensive exercise. Its more difficult with ( e.g.) first time buyers who (as I often say) have more interest in bloody wooden blinds and laminate flooring than in reading anything from a solicitor or their lending institution!

But sorry that you did not have a good experience. I think the perceived wisdom on this board is try to use a professional adviser who comes personally recommended rather than go on a price basis only.

mf

Re: what paperwork will i receive when i finally complete pu

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply. You are my lucky omen as he rang me as I was reading it and confirmed he has received the lenders cheque today. I now have to pay my bit including his bill and sale will close tomorrow. I mentioned about the charge for searches and he siad they will be done by tomorrow!! I no longer care.

I did get all the bits and pieces from the lender and knew about the insurance/life policy being in place for release of cheque. If he had told me with 7 days notice then all would have been done but all I got was 3 days notice and he did not tell lender at all.

I am not a first timer, I just made the mistake that normal office procedures would apply and common sense. How can you do something if you are not aware that it needs to be done - beats me!!! And I worked on the principle that it his job so I should not be chasing him - wong move. It was a simple sale, no chain, I was yards from his office, I had everything arranged. The deal was to complete by 27 Dec and it is now 17th February 05.

Obiviously I will not use this person again. I saved money is my only saving grace as if I paid full whack for this type of service I would be --- well words fail me.

rant over and thanks again for your help. this board keeps me sane.

ebmitie

solicitor

The solicitor I'm currently using is painfully slow ,I'm 5 weeks in to the process and still no nearer to getting contracts signed on selling my house and thus can't commit to purchasing the new house. This solicitor is based in Dublin travelled all the way to city to see them,told I couldn't as they were with another client ,will return my calls 3 days later, I'm at the end of my tether and if no joy over the next week ,I'm going to another solicitor to deal with the purchase of the new house. I don't think the solicitor is applying enough pressure on the buyer of my house to sign.
Definitely go with someone reputable and proven.

Back