What happens if you don't pay rent on Shared Ownership house

L

Louisa238

I have had my shared ownership house up for sale for 2 years now. My tax credits now end as my daughter leaves college next week. I now find that I am unable to pay both the rent and Mortgage as I have been unable to find full time work.Even with housing benefit, I would not have sufficient funds. Does anyone know what would happen if I stopped paying the rent but continued to pay my Mortgage? I have spoken to the housing association about buying the house back, but they are just not interested.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Louisa,
The best thing to do is write to the Loan Accounts section of your Co Co and advise them of your financial circumstances and request a meeting to discuss repayments. They can apply a rent rebate to your account which depending on your means could bring the rent repayment down significantly.
Good luck

Thanks fror that. Do you know if that also applies to Housing associations as my house was bought from Longhurst Housing Association? If I could get the rent halved I can just about manage.

Hi Louisa...

Sorry to hear of your difficulty.... And I hope your problem gets sorted out....

As you mention Housing Benefit, and Longhurst Housing Assoc., I presume you're in the UK...

This is an Irish site, so information or advice would usually apply to Ireland....

Could your local Citizen's Advice help, or a housing charity in the UK...

God bless, and I hope things sort themselves out...

Darth...

Thanks for all your kind words. I have been in contact with Longhurst Housing and as my house has been on the market for 2 years they have referred my case to the Director of Sales. I am hoping there is a possibility that they will buy the house back £52,000 is not a massive amount. My Fiance has his own house and so can not help with any of my household costs.

Hope it all works out!...

Life's too short to have such stress in it!!!...

God bless...

Darth..

Back