wet gable end?

pcocp

any ideas as to why the exterior gable end of a 2 storey house would be wet, visibly so?
Not running water or anything that bad, but a film of water across most of the gable end, wet to touch.
No damp inside, completly dry. No obvious reason either, i.e. leaks etc. Attic also completly dry.

Would it be weather related, at the moment I mean (cold) ?

Thanks.

Sounds like the surface has reached dew-point for the local micro-climate.

I saw what might be a similar situation once earlier this year when looking at water dripping off an external metal stairs.

Continuous dripping with no visible source, just atmospheric moisture condensing on the (cold) surface of the steel.

We even climbed up to the top of the building to ensure there was no run off onto the stair at any point, but you could see the top handrail with nothing above it or abutting it, just water dripping from the rail in a continuous slow drip.

Amazing to actually see the process, it occurs normally and if a building is detailed correctly it doesn't cause a problem.

Sometimes its so cold or the internal vapour check is damage to allow the condensation occur within the fabric of the wall - its called interstitial condensation.

Its why there is supposed to be an insulated cavity with an air gap in a cavity wall.
Its also why there is supposed to be a 50mm cavity on the cold side of the insulation in a dormer bungalow where the ceiling follows the roof.

Lets us know if it gets worse or you discover that the cause is something different.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back