Wedding Gift Cash Amount

TTI

Hi,

I am seeking to get some opinions as I don't go to many weddings - my fiancée and I are going to attend my distant cousin's wedding in a month or so. We're not very close but I do want to attend as it means a lot to this person. We will be getting married ourselves next year but they won't be invited as it will be abroad.

What is a reasonable cash amount to give without being 'cheap'? I have given 150 euro before when I went to two good friend's weddings and was happy with this. I am wondering about a)100 euro or b)150 euro. Thoughts? I'm happy to hear perspectives on costs as well these days.

On average and, if it's at a good venue, with nice meal, it will cost the couple aprox €60 to invite you alone. Now I know people will say it's not about money and all that, but?

On average and, if it's at a good venue, with nice meal, it will cost the couple aprox €60 to invite you alone. Now I know people will say it's not about money and all that, but?

Yes, since I wrote the initial post I read some 2015 articles on typical costs - it's more than I had expected!

Wow you guys are generous. We give E100 between two if we're both going, of im going solo I'd give E70.

E250 is a huge gift IMO when coupled with hotel, petrol, drink costs. I'd you're invited to three weddings a year as I have been recently then that level of gifting is madness!

We don't stay in hotel anymore so I can give more substantial amount, least iv given is €130 and that was to a couple who Id hoped we wouldn't get wedding but did and iv never seen them since and I always give a little gift, you can get something personalised locally I'm sure for few bob or gift shops. I'd prefer give nice amount and feel happy about it.

So then, whats the 2018 answer to this question?

Ive a few weddings coming up and I will be going on my own.

When I was single, I gave €100 if I attended or €50 if not going. As a couple, we give €200 if attending or €100 if not going.

Close relatives we would give more.

€150 is what we'd give unless its a sibling. If I wasn't going to a wedding I'd send a card and maybe a small token gift if it was a close friend or relative, but I wouldn't send a cash gift.

Very true.

Attending and bringing a present for the engagement party.

The stag and hen parties are often a few days abroad.

The trend for some Dublin couples anyway is to have their weddings at country venues as they are cheaper, but many of their guests then have to travel and stay over.

The wedding present.

A work colleague reckons all the above recently cost him and his partner €2K, madness.

I've been told we're to be invited to 2 weddings this coming December and both on Thursdays. I'll go to neither if they're doing this by having it on a "cheap day" and will give no present either. I know both couples, not doing bad in life for themselves but always ready to save a bob or two. Let them at it and won't concern me in the least what they think. I doubt i'll be the only one doing this.

I was at a wedding once where a certain number of meals were provided. Those who were late lost out and had to make do with finger food. I kid you not.

Back