Weather warning - missed payment

Connor

Hi all,
I work as landscaper, during storm Isha I was told to stay home, there's no scheduled work due to the weather conditions. I also didn't get paid.
Office was opened and some of my colleagues were working.
Employee handbook, contract doesn't mention weather conditions.
What's me legal stand here, does my employer obliged to pay, when he asked to stay home?
Let's discuss this
TIA

Yes if you’re available to work then it’s usual that the employee would be paid. However it depends on what your contract says. I’d say that in your line of work it would be set out clearly what should happen. Read your contract as well as your handbook

Yes if you’re available to work then it’s usual that the employee would be paid. However it depends on what your contract says. I’d say that in your line of work it would be set out clearly what should happen. Read your contract as well as your handbook
Thanks for your answer. I read the handbook and my contract as well, not a single works about weather conditions.
What are your contracted hours? 25? And then if you do 27, you are paid overtime, or are you contracted to work 25 to 27?
Well, Im a part-time employee and I don't have a contract. I already filed a complaint to the wrc. I work 3 days a week. 9hrs per day. Usually 25-27 hrs.

Thanks for your answer. I read the handbook and my contract as well, not a single works about weather conditions.

Well, Im a part-time employee and I don't have a contract. I already filed a complaint to the wrc. I work 3 days a week. 9hrs per day. Usually 25-27 hrs.
It's a bit confusing to understand. You say you read your contract, but also that you don't have a contract.

Do you mean you do have a contract but don't have contracted hours - meaning you have a zero hours contract?

It's a bit confusing to understand. You say you read your contract, but also that you don't have a contract.

Do you mean you do have a contract but don't have contracted hours - meaning you have a zero hours contract?
Sorry, I meant my full-time contract. Since, I have changed to work part time, I don't have a contract.

Sorry, I meant my full-time contract. Since, I have changed to work part time, I don't have a contract.
Sounds messy. Legally you have a contract even if not a written one. But tricky to know if you are entitled to get paid for work that is not completed, when the reason for this is an event such as weather.

Going to wrc straight off over 1 day's work seems like a pretty heavy escalation but good luck with it.

Sounds messy. Legally you have a contract even if not a written one. But tricky to know if you are entitled to get paid for work that is not completed, when the reason for this is an event such as weather.

Going to wrc straight off over 1 day's work seems like a pretty heavy escalation but good luck with it.
Yeah the whole place is a mess, Ive already filed a complaint to the wrc, I contacted the hr department no reply. I see how it goes. Thank you.

Back