Waste Treatment System

racso

First off hi to all and thanks to anybody who may help. Built a house and moved in in february. Since then there has been a distinct smell of sewage at the side of our house. The system is located in the backgarden but obviously when the wind blows it carries the smell. The contractor has stated the problem is due to the water being treated in the area and this kills off all the natural bacteria but surely if this was the case all systems would be affected the sameway? Thanks for any advice that you can give.

1. check all your sewers to ensure that there are no partial blockages. Also check that none of the surface water is drained into the foul system (you can do this by putting a running hose into the drain at the foot of the gutters and making sure it doesn't end up in the foul sewer). Also check for good fit on lids - perhaps grease with vaseline to make airtight.

2. Check that your system has been properly commissioned - you should have been given a commissioning certificate from the manufacturer;

3. Are you using strong chemicals and\or biological washing powder? Both might interfere with the natural bacterial processes upon which your treatment plant relies.

In times past, I was told that a good way to kickstart a septic tank was to drop a dead cat or other roadkill into it. I have never tried this, nor can I vouch for its efficacy either on an old septic tank or on a newer system.

Thanks for that had heard about throwing in dead animal before but that was on a tank that had got a lot more use then ours ever had. Did not the certificate you mentioned but did get a service agreement that cost 150 euro a year any opinion on this(it was only sent out after we complained through the contractor)?

We had a similar problem with and envirocare system,
Turned out the system wasn't commissioned, well is was, but the electrician didnt wire the system correct into the switch board, so the system wasn't pumping at all,

can you hear the system pumping??

hi bertson yup can hear the pump going ok guy coming out today from the company so hopefully he will be of some us fill ya in when i hear something

Back