Ward of Court cost.

Mapara

Unfortunately I need to take out Ward of Court for my Father who is in a Carehome has anyone gone through this as I'm wondering what is involved as regards the time frame and also the cost., I'm meeting a solicitor next week but would like to get some feed back before hand.

Sorry to hear that your father is not well. I presume it's too late to be granted power of attorney or you are wanting to protect your father's assets by taking out a ward of court. When family members are in dispute with each other this is probably the best course of action in my opinion. Protecting / selling his assets / lodging funds with the wards of court office ensures his interests are put first and that his care can be paid for into the future.

Firstly - It depends on the complexity. If it is complex and takes time it will cost more.

It can be done relatively inexpensively ( less than €500 + your time ) or expensively depending on how complicated it is, get a couple of quotes if you decide not to do it yourself.
If you decide to do it yourself get in touch with the office of the wards of court . I found them excellent and the procedure and all of the forms should be available on their website.

You will need your fathers doctor and his geriatrician if he has elderly/has dementia or other ailment like that to sign off that your father no longer has his full faculties. You will also need a commissioner of the peace or a solicitor for a couple of affidavits (can be between €10 euro and €20 a signature). It also involves gathering all of the information about your father's income and expenditure, debts, ongoing commitments e.t.c. You will also need to serve the papers on your father which sounds a bit weird.
You will also need to go in front of a judge at the end of the process where he will ask you a couple of questions and then relieve you of your duties.

it can be time consuming if your fathers affairs are complicated but it can be done yourself if you do it step by step. if you are not comfortable gathering the information and submitting the forms then you can pay a professional. Some solicitors will charge a set fee and others will charge a % of your fathers assets. be very careful what you agree to.

Last edited:
Looking back on AAM I see that somebody else has given some information about the procedure.

1) Originating petition of inquiry - signed by solicitor/comm. of oaths & petitioner. Petition should state names & addresses of family members, Property, investments and debts
2) Affidavit of certification- signed by solicitor/ comm. of oaths
3) Capacity assessments from 2 doctors ( CANNOT BE FROM SAME PRACTICE)
4) Affidavit signed by 2 doctors/ solicitor ( This template was difficult to find but ward office will send it to you if you aske them nicely )
5) sent to wards office in Dublin
6) Inquiry order sent to president of high court by wards office
7) Service papers will be sent to you (by wards office) to effect service ( You can serve the papers ) .Just get it affidavit of serving notice signed
8) Courts doctor visits potential ward
9) Case worker appointed by court
10)Committee is formed ( Normally one or two relatives )

you will need to give the name of a solicitor to the office of the wards of court if you expect any conveyancing to be done

Last edited:
Back