Health Insurance Waiting period when changing provider?

michaelm

If someone was to move from VHI to another provider, to a broadly equivalent (or perhaps lesser) policy, would the change from VHI 80% orthopaedic cover, to full such cover with another provider, attract a waiting period?

michaelm,

An upgrade waiting time (2 years) only applies in respect of a pre-existing condition. So, if you have no pre-existing orthopaedic conditions, full cover will apply straight away.
If you do have an orthopaedic pre-existing condition, a 2 year waiting applies but you don't lose any cover - you would stay on 80%cover while waiting.

On a separate note, anybody on a plan with 80% orthopaedic cover, if the plan also has hi-tech hospital cover included,
if they choose either Blackrock Clinic or Mater Private for surgery, these 2 hospitals are not passing the 20% shortfall onto the patient. In other words there is full orthopaedic cover in these 2 hospitals.

Regards , Snowyb

Last edited:
Hi all,
My question is pretty much in line with the first but related to a chronic disease. I have had private health insurance for the last 8 years via a work scheme with Aviva (health plan 18). Am being made redundant end of June and am now looking for the best option for me to continue private cover. I have an a form of arthritis which is classified as a chronic disease. As a result I have to visit two types of consultants regularly and also have to have outpatient procedures now and again.
If I decide to switch to Laya which look to provide better cover for the same money do I need to inform them/ is their a waiting period ?

thank you very much
Irina

Irina,

À good alternative with Laya, is 'Simplicity' plan, price 1087pa.
Hospital cover is similar, the main difference relates to lower inpatient and day case excesses. Outpatient day case excess is 50 per visit, compared
to 150 with Health Plan 18. This plan also includes extra inpatient cover for a private room in a private hospital.

Strictly speaking, there would be a 2 year upgrade waiting for pre-existing conditions for better cover which also includes excess amounts.
However, with Laya healthcare, in practise they are not too strict where lower excess amounts are concerned.
The 2 year waiting would apply for your pre-existing condition regarding the private room in a private hospital.
Otherwise cover would be the same, so no other waiting would apply.

Regarding day to day cover for consultant visits, gp, dental, physio etc, with Laya there are no age related waiting times for better day to day cover.
With Simplicity plan, the first 100 is not allowed, but overall it has better day to day cover.

It is not a requirement to disclose pre-existing conditions to a health insurance company. People who do disclose this information , are usually concerned about changing plans and want to confirm that cover won't be affected.
The only reason to discuss your pre-existing condition would be in relation to the lower excess of 50 for a day case treatment. Whether the new lower excess 50 euro would apply straight away or in 2 years time.

Comparison as follows;
[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Back