VW Passat

S

Sloopy

I have recently bought a new WV Passat (new shape) 1.9tdi. I have to wait for another six weeks before it is delivered. I'm trying to find out if anyone has one what do you think of it, I'm also trying to find out is the 1.9 underpowered.

Thanks all!

I have a 1.6 Sportsline and I think it's superb. a big step up from the previous passat. hope you at least went for the comfortline model as it looks a bit naff with the steel wheels and plastic hubcaps.

What horsepower engine did you get? Not sure about the new passats, but the last range of golfs/passats came in 90/100/110/130/150bhp engines, depending on their age.

The TDi is a fantastic engine, with great torque at low revs. Even the 100bhp (which is now the lowest bhp, I think) would probably be quicker than a non-turbo petrol engine.

What are you comparing to when you ask about underpowered, what was your last car?

Its 115bhp - Highline model with a few upgrades! I've driven the tdi and it seems to have a good bit of poke. Any other comments?

Have a 100hp TDi, plenty of grunt for the normal driver I should think, I always feel like I'm driving it well within its range, car never feels under pressure (used to drive fiestas, twas hell for leather at 80mph on the dualler - now its just tipping along)

nai said:
I have a 1.6 Sportsline and I think it's superb. a big step up from the previous passat. hope you at least went for the comfortline model as it looks a bit naff with the steel wheels and plastic hubcaps.

I thought that the comfortline has steel wheels & that the alloys are extra? The highline & sportline have the alloys as standard.

ninsaga

Sloopy

I thought the 1.9 only had 105bhp 5 speed.
I drove a 1.9 felt a bit sluggish compared to my 130bhp old version.

The 1.9 is only at 105 so as not to compete with the 2.0 140bhp which is about 4 grand more due to our rip off VRT jump on cars over 1900 cc. How cycnical am I?

Something to note a guy I know got a new passat, after 3 weeks the handbrake went on and would not release took the garage about 3 days to sort out alegedly a loose wire, any one else heard of any odities with the electronic handbrake?

Anyway best of luck with it.

You are correct - Alloys are an extra option on the Comfort.

Frank - You are correct - it is only 105hp. I've also heaard that the hand breat was a teething problem and VW have sorted it out!

ninsaga said:
I thought that the comfortline has steel wheels & that the alloys are extra? The highline & sportline have the alloys as standard.

ninsaga

Sorry - my mistake - tbh i didn't pay much attention to the comfort line options because of the velour seats - had one previously and those seats are very comfortable but a nightmare to keep clean

Anyone have any idea how they will fair off on second hand value?

I work in the motor industry and there have been several incidents with the handbrake - one poor unfortunate driver had only driven out of the garage when his went - didnt get his car back for three weeks!!!!!!! I would always be hesitant to spend my very hard earned money on a new model - in my experience the first drivers are esentially used as guinea pigs and the problems ironed out from their complaints.

How are you supposed to use the passat handbrake in situations where you would be taking off on a hill & easing off of the handbrake to awoid rolling back?

ninsaga

just engage it as you normally would and then when you go to pull off it will disengage - simple really and it's very easy to get used to it.

Have a 1.6 comfortline new model..115 bhp..underpowered. Should have at least bought the 1.9 tdi...I have only myself to blame.The cheapest alloys on this model are c. 450 euro but they look very well.

practitioner said:
Have a 1.6 comfortline new model..115 bhp..underpowered. Should have at least bought the 1.9 tdi...I have only myself to blame.The cheapest alloys on this model are c. 450 euro but they look very well.

Re underpowered, my 1.9TDi is only 100 BHP - if you have 115 do you not have a more powerful car?? - or were you going to go for the 130bhp 1.9TDi

Betsy Og said:
Re underpowered, my 1.9TDi is only 100 BHP - if you have 115 do you not have a more powerful car?? - or were you going to go for the 130bhp 1.9TDi

Not necessarily. Basically, a TDI engine will deliver a lot more torque at lower rpm than a non-turbo petrol engine, and so will seem more powerful because it can accelerate faster.

As a mate of mine once said, if you're past 3000 rpm in a TDi, you're driving it wrong! That's sound advice. You may need to be hitting 4,500+ rpm in a petrol to match the acceleration of a TDi at ~ 2000rpm.

That was my initial incorrect thinking re more bhp ....115 versus 105 in petrol versus diesel. Even though the 0 - 100 is quicker, it is lacking in the mid speed ranges which would be most relevant re overtaking. Apparently cbg.ie have much the same thing to say about it.

Back