VW CO2 review - new car on order

Not_near_it

Hi all,

I'd like a bit of advice if possible.

I placed an order for a new petrol VW back in september, at the time it was not part of the recall for NOX emissions but since then VW have stated that the CO2 values are to be reviewed for the model I have ordered.

I know VW have stated they will cover additional costs if the price/tax increases.

If I'm not happy with the updated CO2 levels do I have any legal right to cancel my order and have my deposit returned?

I don't know about your legal right, but you should try to cancel it anyway. They will probably agree as they would not want the negative publicity.

Brendan

I don't know about your legal right, but you should try to cancel it anyway. They will probably agree as they would not want the negative publicity.

Brendan

Thats true, or more likely be open to renegotiating the deal to try and keep the sale. I would guess that VW have lost a lot of business in recent months as a result of the scandal, so every sale is very important to them these days.

Ultimately, you could also consider asking for independent written verification that the Co2 levels are as VW state - no idea who might provide this, but assuming it didn't cost too much VW should pick up the bill to give you confidence before purchasing.

Not-near -it.

1. You lose on Co2 emissions.
2. Tax may increase in line with Co2 emissions.
3. You only have the word of proven cheats that they will cover any future Co2 tax increases.
4. VW trumpeted their good resale value.

I think tell garage you want to cancel and want your deposit back.
They may come back with something.
If they don,t , spend a few euro on legal advice.

VW'a are still selling well but to me, the fear is that are there other stories to come out from there and what will they mean. The brand is tarnished and if they cut new car prices to maintain market share, it is only going to impact the 2nd hand value. Personally I'd tell them to get stuffed and walk away.

I heard from a friend (not in Ireland) that when he went looking to trade in his 3 year old Golf last week no garage would consider it at all.

I loved the line "Car company founded by Hitler suffers image problem". :D
Not sure where I read it.

Thanks for the replies. I've emailed the dealer asking a few questions. I'll post the outcome when I get a reply.

Is there any evidence that VW has reduced prices or offered any other inducements in the light of the scandal?

Is there any evidence that VW has reduced prices or offered any other inducements in the light of the scandal?
From article (ithink in Economist )it said profit margins on VW cars were thin, so can,t see wriggle room for inducements.

They're offering 1.9% finance on some models, and are including a number of extras in the price of new cars.

From article (ithink in Economist )it said profit margins on VW cars were thin, so can,t see wriggle room for inducements.

While it would take a while for the impact of doing "deals" to sell new cars, to take notable affect on the financial statements of the VW Group, I would think there is every reason to accept a zero margin for a while... simply to try and limit damage to the brand, try and retain market share in new car sales etc.

Does anyone know if VW own their dealerships here in Ireland, or are they franchises ? If franchises, we may now have a situation where some of the franchise holders are considering moving to a rival when their current deal with VW expires, so again another reason why prices may be cut - the individual deal will want to be remembered for giving good deals and try to protect their own name and market share.

Back