Volvo S60 - anyone got one?

DaveD

I'm thinking of buying a used Volvo S60 2.0T SE and was wondering if anyone has any personal experience of them? Don't need or want the estate V70 version as apparently they drive very differently. I've checked around on various review sites and can only find good things said about them. I don't really want to buy a BMW or Audi but want that bit of comfort that comes with this type of car.

I know I can buy a Modeo/Avensis/Passat etc for less money but I'm not interested in them at all.

I can't remember where I read it but apparently the s60 is only an inch or two 'bigger'/'longer' than the s40 but it costs a lot more. The article I read said you'd be better off buying a s40. Might be worth checking out the specs of both cars.

I don't have either but I'd love a s80!

Volvo's Irish site

I've driven V70/S80/S60.

First 2 drive pretty similar. Big cars, and good at cruising.

S60 is a bit smaller, but more sports orientated. Comparing it to the new S40 is not fair imho. The S60 is way bigger, heavier, and from a different class of car.

I liked them all in different ways actually.

Go for a really clean one, with fsh, in silver or gold. Get an RAC inspection (or similar) done before purchase. Service and fuel costs will be high enough, but it's worth it.

Enjoy.

Thanks all, have to agree the S40 and S60 are in a different league, even if the S60 appears to be only a few inches bigger in external dimensions. Also the newer S40 hasn't reached the used value of around €18k I was thinking of, the older S40 isn't even an option. So its an S60 then!

Dave

I have an S60 2.0T. I lover the car, but a bit of advice

1. Mine is auto, but is awfully thirsty - cost circa 20c per mile. Go for diesel if you are worried about fuel cost
2. Servicing is very dear at main dealers
3. I broke the wing mirror, and it cost 524 euro to replace (I put it through the insurance)
4. New catch for boot lid - supplied and replaced - 204 euro

Pro's

Looks great - no comparison to new S40, which is tiny looking in comparison

Very smooth drive

2.0T has incredible power - you are very safe overtaking in this

John

Thanks John, advice much appreciated, fuel cost don't really worry me as I only drive about 100 miles per week. When you say a "new catch" for boot lid do you mean a new lock? I've seen many many reports of the locks needing replacing on all doors/boot over time, both on S60 and S80.

DaveD

I would say it's good choice to have S60.But in terms of price 18k sound very expensive!Why don't you try to by from Germany where you will spend no more then 10k..see www.webauto.de

pierce said:
I would say it's good choice to have S60.But in terms of price 18k sound very expensive!Why don't you try to by from Germany where you will spend no more then 10k..see www.webauto.de

How do you find a right-hand drive car in Germany?

I know somebody who bought a 2001 S80 2.0T for €10,500.
All you have to do is look around as they are not a big seller second hand.
Excellent car, fully loaded and the comfort and ride are superb.......

An S80 is cheaper to buy used than an S60 I know, but its an S60 I'm after. The Germany suggestion is a non-runner beacuse of the right hand drive issue, but looks like sourcing one in the UK may save about €2000.

Well,for a second hand car of course ..you will not find a right hand one.
BUt if you want to buy brand new car you can order them on the right hand drive.Sounds difficult well,it's up to you ..just an example BMW5 in Germany start from 35.000 EUR whereas in Eire 55.000 EUR.Big difference right?

I think you are neglecting to add the VRT payable on bringing the car back to Ireland Pierce. A new 520D is just over €51,900 in Ireland new, in Germany €35,900. The VRT payable is approximately €14,500 when you bring it in to Ireland, a total of €50,400. So a €1,500 saving has to cover travel to get the car, bring it back by boat, inconvenience, and any additonal supplement the German dealers charge for supplying a right hand drive car. Can't see it being economical really.

Anyway, its a used Volvo S60 I'm after, I've had a BMW 5 series before and wouldn't buy another :)

Back