Views on Luttrelstown/Carpentertown, D15

decembersal

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of buying a 3 bed semi house in one of the above area. I would be particularly interested in hearing about the quality of the houses- sound insultation, finish etc. In people's opinion are they worth the high price?

Sally

Have a house in reverwood, 3 bed semi

Comments:

Sound insulation - ok, certainly can't hear much noise next door (TV / voice), but you would hear baby crying, loud noises (although not too bad) - not as good as 2 bed timber framed house we moved up from nearby.

Working in the building industry, noticed a few ways they skimped on finishes - all walls are cavity block / dryling, they use 9mm board instead of sturdier 12.5mm not a major issue. May also be a consideration when your selling on (energy audit), but a lot of houses are built this was in last 10 years or so. rest of finishes are bog standard enough, i suppose they're finished for an adequate stanrad given today's housing boom. Builder of ours was Castlethorn, teh yappear to have a reasonable reputation.

We bought ours 2nd hand - needed total repainting, refurb of bathroom, was rented before us.

The reason they are such a high price is nothing to do with quality - it's the old adage of location, location, location. They seem to be changing hands for crazy money these days.

You're paying for transport links (train station close by, 20 mins to towneasy access to N3 / M50), schools (secondary and big new primary school), handiness to shops (Blanch, range of supermarkets), parks (phoenix park is nearby). there's a choice of 4 pubs nearby and a few restautants in Castleknock & Blanhards town that aren't bad.

We have a 3 bed semi on Warren Av, just off Carpenterstown road. There were a few on sale when we bought but I have't seen one on sale in a while. I'd say prices are closer to 400k than 350k now.

Pros:
The big one is Transport - train service from Coolmine is a 7 min walk away and is improving. Otherwise the no. 37 bus.
Facilities - well, there are a few creches in the area, and both a spanking new primary and a secondary school are within walking distance. As we have a baby I haven't seen the inside of the Carpenter pub yet! I do walk the baby down to the Castleknock Golf Hotel on Sunday mornings though. Usual Spar, extravision nearby...plus doctor's clinic and pharmacy.
We also drive down to Phoenix park for walks and picnics in summer.
The shoppign centre in Blanch is close by but not close enough to get all the traffic like Clonsilla road.
Seems to be a well organised GAA club in the area for when the youngster grows a bit.

Cons:
You're screwed if you want to drive to town in the morning. I even got tired of the train and now I bike in in 30 mins.
Build quality is so-so. We can hear Latvian techno as if it was in our living room. But they're nice enough people.
There isn't a bloody coffe shop anywhere!

As long as you can walk to the train station you are in clover. Forget trying to park there.

Hope that helps. We aren't in love with the place, but we know it suits us as FTBs and we feel pretty luck to have bought here a year ago.

We have a 3 bed semi on Warren Av, just off Carpenterstown road. There were a few on sale when we bought but I have't seen one on sale in a while. I'd say prices are closer to 400k than 350k now.

Pros:
The big one is Transport - train service from Coolmine is a 7 min walk away and is improving. Otherwise the no. 37 bus.
Facilities - well, there are a few creches in the area, and both a spanking new primary and a secondary school are within walking distance. As we have a baby I haven't seen the inside of the Carpenter pub yet! I do walk the baby down to the Castleknock Golf Hotel on Sunday mornings though. Usual Spar, extravision nearby...plus doctor's clinic and pharmacy.
We also drive down to Phoenix park for walks and picnics in summer.
The shoppign centre in Blanch is close by but not close enough to get all the traffic like Clonsilla road.
Seems to be a well organised GAA club in the area for when the youngster grows a bit.

Cons:
You're screwed if you want to drive to town in the morning. I even got tired of the train and now I bike in in 30 mins.
Build quality is so-so. We can hear Latvian techno as if it was in our living room. But they're nice enough people.
There isn't a bloody coffe shop anywhere!

As long as you can walk to the train station you are in clover. Forget trying to park there.

Hope that helps. We aren't in love with the place, but we know it suits us as FTBs and we feel pretty luck to have bought here a year ago.

we used to live in riverwood but decided to move out to dunboyne.
i think it was the right move, as 3 bed houses in riverwood are very pokey and if you have more than 2 kids it becomes very crowded in the house.
Build quality on house is just so -so ,not bad but not great ,I would say plaster was just thrown up. The main advantage though is that it is a super location with a wealth of ammenties on your doorstep. So it is a trade off that you have to decide what suits you best.

Back