Video of a cyclist being hit by a car in Dublin

Brendan Burgess

Founder
http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/watch-scary-moment-car-collides-6814315

It's hard to make out here and it seems that the driver is clearly in the wrong for pulling out onto a main road in front of oncoming traffic.

But an experienced cyclist would see that the van on the left hand side is stopped and drivers entering the road often assume that all traffic is stopped. If I had been in that position, I would have been cycling slowly beside cars which are stopped for traffic.

However as the cyclist said, he expected the car to stop.

Brendan

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/watch-scary-moment-car-collides-6814315

It's hard to make out here and it seems that the driver is clearly in the wrong for pulling out onto a main road in front of oncoming traffic.

But an experienced cyclist would see that the van on the left hand side is stopped and drivers entering the road often assume that all traffic is stopped. If I had been in that position, I would have been cycling slowly beside cars which are stopped for traffic.

However as the cyclist said, he expected the car to stop.

Brendan

Not absolving the motorist, but he would have been looking to his left as the traffic to his right had stopped. The cyclist showed a lack of awareness of his surroundings. He moved to the outside of the lane and approached the junction from behind a van. No matter what, he is putting himself at risk by hiding himself from traffic.

The driver never looked right. Wide open junction, clear line of sight. They weren't going that quick though. There's a lot of cyclists on the route and most of them are usually in the cycle lane. But you always get cyclists and motorbikes/scooter going up the outside. So you have to check right.

But yes lack of anticipation from the cyclist. Don't assume you are seen, and cars will stop, just because you have right of way. Be careful around van/high vehicles. I assume the cyclist was planning to turn right at the bridge, otherwise they'd had been in the cycle lane.

No serous injury. So hopefully a good lesson to all who see the video.

The canal is gridlocked usually with lots of junctions. You get drivers pulling out a lot. I used to have two front lights on the bicycle when travelling along here, seemed to reduce the amount of drivers who would pull out across me.

The cyclist had right of way, the car driver never looked, what if a motor cyclist had been coming at speed? The car didn't even zoom out of the side road they just kept coming and kept on not looking for traffic in both directions just the direction that might impede their journey, the cyclist wasn't going fast either luckily enough. Should have reported the driver to the Garda for dangerous driving.

The cyclist had right of way, the car driver never looked, what if a motor cyclist had been coming at speed? The car didn't even zoom out of the side road they just kept coming and kept on not looking for traffic in both directions just the direction that might impede their journey, the cyclist wasn't going fast either luckily enough. Should have reported the driver to the Garda for dangerous driving.
The rules of the road state that cyclists should keep to the left of the lane. The cyclists in this case didn't do so. The driver of the car was careless but the cyclist contributed to the accident by cycling dangerously.
As a frequent commuter cyclist, going through Dublin city center, I can't say I always follow best practice but if that had been me I would have accepted shared responsibility.

The rules of the road state that cyclists should keep to the left of the lane. The cyclists in this case didn't do so. The driver of the car was careless but the cyclist contributed to the accident by cycling dangerously.
As a frequent commuter cyclist, going through Dublin city center, I can't say I always follow best practice but if that had been me I would have accepted shared responsibility.

Agreed: definitely a case of shared resposibiliy. Cyclists need to be aware that cemeteries are full of people who say "I had right of way"......

Aren't there two lanes? The left one is occupied by the van and he's cycling on the left of the right hand lane? There are two lanes of traffic on the other side of the yellow box.

Aren't there two lanes? The left one is occupied by the van and he's cycling on the left of the right hand lane? There are two lanes of traffic on the other side of the yellow box.
It looks to me like the cyclist is on the outside of the outside lane and, as they crosses the junction box, they are moving back into the left hand side of the outside lane. It's hard to be sure though.

There are valid reasons for not staying left. The dogma of staying left can be dangerous in many common situations. (Arguably its contributory factor in deaths from left turning HGV's).

If you want to turn right. You want to take the dominant position to be visible for oncoming traffic turning across you. Though I would say centre lane rather than far right is better. For example on the quays there is 3-4 lanes and if I want to turn right I need to be in the right most lane. I get in lane early and cycle as if I'm in car. If the traffic is queued I will filter slowly up the right side, but as the traffic moves I go centre lane for the turn. So I am seen and can't be overtaken and squeezed.

If there's a left turn ahead you need to pull out to stop cars overtaking and left turning across your path.

So I wouldn't agree with always staying left. But the cyclist in heavy traffic needs to be extra cautious, and I think the cyclist here wasn't cautious enough. He saw the car, but assumed it would stop. Can't do that. You need to see them stop, and see they have reacted to you. Ditto high/large vehicles you have to be even more careful. I don't think the cyclists gave the van the attention it needed.

But not staying left, isn't dangerous or illegal. In fact the law was changed recently so that cyclists don't have to stay in the cycle lane. There was good reason for that.

But the driver just simply wasn't looking forward or right. Now that's a dangerous habit.

Good info on what a cyclist should do and where they should be [broken link removed].

Good info on what a cyclist should do and where they should be [broken link removed].

That links to this....

Filtering on the outside

Filtering on the outside is probably the preferred option. As long as the road’s centre line is dotted and not continuous, the normal rules of overtaking apply. It presents similar hazards as between the lanes, insomuch as one may encounter drivers deciding to pull out and overtake without warning. Of course the rider, too, has to now deal with oncoming traffic but, whereas a driver needs the whole lane clear to overtake, the rider can ‘negotiate’ with oncoming drivers and occupy the other side of the road in a contra-flow situation whilst overtaking. This needs constant reading of the road ahead and a high level of anticipation.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/k...izn20130830-Effective-traffic-riding-part-2-0

If it's that space on Mespil Road, then the cyclist was absolutely in the right lane.
What is he supposed to do - wait behind a van stopped in the cycle lane?

But a good cyclist would know to be wary of traffic stopped on your left hand side. Cars coming out just assume that all traffic is stopped and pull straight out.

Shared responsibility. A good lesson for both.

Brendan

I've stayed behind a van on the canal centre lane, (couldn't get past) and got was nearly hit as an oncoming car turned right, behind the van. I assume the oncoming driver looked at the gap between the van and the car behind me in the distance, before we got to the junction, and just blindly turned right at speed into the gap before his brain registered there was a bright yellow big bird festooned with flashing light in his path. No idea how they missed me.

Drivers gambling by turning right before the lights go green, or at tiny non existent gaps in the oncoming traffic is very common on the canal.

Also bikes can't stop that fast especially on a wet road, with regular bike brakes. So if you turn across them they might not be able to stop.

That ignores the fact that motorists expect cyclists to be on the left and so will not look for them on the outside of a lane.

Could be anything on right. Scooters, motorbikes, emergency vehicle, pedestrians. Drivers should be in the habit of checking both sides.

But as cyclist I yes I don't like far right, as I find most drivers are not paying proper attention. Doors can open and throw you in to oncoming traffic. I would be very cautious of going far right it. But its not against the law, and may not be dangerous depending on situation.

As roads get busier, especially in towns with more cyclists, and pedestrians. We have to drive with more attention and awareness than in the past.

Maybe you could quote explicitly what you are referring to. Tks
It's all the same page but look at the comment made by "Karl" on the 22 June 2015 and the replied below that. He points out the cyclists must keep left and that cycle lanes are obligatory. Other people refute the cycle lane point but not the keep left bit. I'm no expert on the legalities of this but as a cyclist I don't like having cars on both sides of me, just as I will never use a cycle path when it is shared with a footpath as I consider it to be too dangerous.

Could be anything on right. Scooters, motorbikes, emergency vehicle, pedestrians. Drivers should be in the habit of checking both sides.

But as cyclist I yes I don't like far right, as I find most drivers are not paying proper attention. Doors can open and throw you in to oncoming traffic. I would be very cautious of going far right it. But its not against the law, and may not be dangerous depending on situation.

As roads get busier, especially in towns with more cyclists, and pedestrians. We have to drive with more attention and awareness than in the past.
All true but it doesn't change it.

Back