Health Insurance VHI policy up for renewal

Dublin

Hi,

I am currently with VHI on First plan - level 1.
The policy covers my myself (35), my wife (32), and my two kids (3 year old and a 9 month old).
It is up for renewal this month at €2,119.

I am wondering if VHI have a policy that would suit my family (no health issues) and would be a little cheaper, or are there alternative policies with Laya, Aviva etc that would be similar to my current policy and more reasonably priced?

I appreciate any help you could give me on this

have you asked them for the equivalent corporate rate?, they used to be obliged to give you that rate if you asked for it, not sure if that is still the case

I have not asked for the equivalent corporate rate. Would that be much cheaper than my current renewal quote?

My renewal date is the end of October.

With a renewal date in October, you avoid the increases from 1st November and you can also avail of the kids offers which end on 1st Nov.

Just to explain briefly - under private health insurance, there are 3 levels of hospital cover available
1. Public hospital cover; all the main public hospitals, examples Mater Public, St James, Beaumont, Temple st and Crumlin Childrens hospitals etc.
2. Private hospital cover; Bons Secours, St Vincents Private, Hermitage, Galway Clinic and others.
3. Hi-tech hospital cover; Blackrock Clinic, Mater Private, Beacon.

The plan you are on at the moment fully covers you for Public hospital cover only. It also offers 50% cover for Private hospitals which is useless, as
you would have to pay for half the cost of surgery. This could run into thousands which really defeats the purpose of having health insurance.
However, there are plenty of alternative options at cheaper prices which cover all three levels of hospital cover including public, private and hi-tech.

Plans worth considering including 3 levels of hospital cover;
Note: Public hospitals are fully covered( no charge on admission for surgery or day case)
Private hospitals - there is a charge of 500 on admission for surgery, day case charge is 150.
Hi tech hospitals - Cardiac and orthopaedic surgery fully covered(no charge), all other surgery covered with 500 excess charge + 200 per night.
Day case 150 charge.

1. Laya Flex 500 Explore; price 661pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, limited day to day cover.
2. Laya Flex 500 Plus; price 772pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, good day to day cover.
[broken link removed]

Plans worth considering including 2 levels of hospital cover; public and private hospital cover
1. VHI One Plan 500; price 682pa, public and private hospital cover, excess charge 500 per private hospital admission, limited day to day cover.
2. VHI One Plan 250; price 797pa, public and private hospital cover, excess charge 250 per private hospital admission, limited day to day cover.
3. Laya Advantage 500 Explore; price 612pa; public,selected private hospital cover, cardiac + orthopaedic hi-tech cover, excess 500 per private admission, limited day to day cover.
4. Laya Advantage 500 Plus; price 720pa; public,selected private hospital cover, cardiac + orthopaedic hi-tech cover, excess 500 per private admission, good day to day cover.
5. Laya Advantage 250 Explore; price 741pa; public,selected private hospital cover, just orthopaedic hi-tech cover, excess 250 per private admission, limited day to day cover.
[broken link removed]

Public Hospital Cover Only
1. Laya Future Protect; price 495pa; public hospital cover only, limited day to day cover.
2. VHI One Plan Starter; price 530pa; public hospital cover only, limited day to day cover.
[broken link removed]

Childrens Options
1. Laya Essential Connect Health; price 268; Offer pay for one child and the rest of the children go free. Public and private hospital cover 125 excess charge per private hospital admission. Limited day to day cover.

2. VHI One Plan Choice; price 124.72 per child; 3 levels of hospital cover; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover. 125 excess per private admission. Limited day to day cover.
Note; there are no private childrens hospitals in Ireland but some public hospitals have private childrens wards and the hi-tech hospitals offer a list of childrens surgery, ie tonsillectomy etc which is covered on this plan.

[broken link removed]

There are plenty of alternative cheaper plans on offer, with much better hospital cover than your current plan.
Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
I'd just like to take the opportunity to thank and acknowledge all the effort and work snowyb does in this area for all aam users

What can be a tricky area to find out what one needs snowyb always gives a concise and clear perspective. The above would have taken me a day to produce!

Thanks
S.

PS I another renewal in the new year. :)

I'd just like to take the opportunity to thank and acknowledge all the effort and work snowyb does in this area for all aam users

What can be a tricky area to find out what one needs snowyb always gives a concise and clear perspective. The above would have taken me a day to produce!

Thanks
S.

PS I another renewal in the new year. :)

+1 snowyb - your posts are always so helpful and not just for the OPs! :)
Thanks snowyb!

Thanks snowyb for the information above. I really appreciate the detailed response.
And thanks to everyone for their replies.

Thanks snowyb for the information above. I really appreciate the detailed response.
And thanks to everyone for their replies.

Note; there is a further 10% discount for the adult Laya plans quoted above, if purchased online.
Sometimes, its awkward to add children online when they are on a different plan, if this difficulty arises either contact Laya by phone or online chat
which they can sort out straight away. They usually apply the 10% discount in that situation.

There is also the option for each adult to be with 2 different companies to reduce costs.
Example; Maybe one adult and 2 kids go with VHI, while adult no 2 may choose laya to achieve further savings or vice versa.

Snowyb

Hi,

I have sorted out my health cover for myself (VHI One Plan 500) and my two children (VHI One Plan Choice).
VHI suggested the PMI 3713 policy for my wife as it will give full cover in both public and private hospitals and will also cover her for maternity costs.

We have no plans in the near future for another child but I suppose this keeps that option open.
I am just wondering, if my wife was on the same plan as myself (VHI One Plan 500), what implications would this have if my wife was to get pregnant in a year or two. If she changed to a plan that covers maternity costs next year, is there a waiting time (e.g. a year) before she is covered for pregnancy?

Thanks very much for your time and guidance on this.

The standard waiting time for maternity cover is 52 weeks (1 year) if you upgrade.
The VHI One Plan 500 maternity cover drops to 400pa, compared to full cover 3 nights which she has on her current plan 'First Plan Level 1.'
[broken link removed]

The trick is to keep maternity cover at a similar level to avoid any pitfalls.
I know your preference is probably towards VHI, but I see that all the above Laya plans both Flex and Advantage range have full maternity cover
like your current plan, a cheaper way of keeping the option open.

The Plus range have the out-patient consultant fees amount included. Flex 500 Plus and Explore cover all the private hospitals.
Note; the excess of 500 does not apply to any public hospital including maternity hospitals so that doesn't come into effect in this regard whatsoever. Once you choose a plan with like for like maternity cover, there is no waiting time involved.

She could switch to Laya for one or two years and go back to VHI(PMI 37 13) with no waiting time for maternity.
The implications of switching to One Plan 500 and then upgrading to PMI 37 13, she would have to be a year on PMI 37 13 before cover is allowed for maternity.

As an alternative option with VHI, there is a new corporate plan PMI 40 15 launching on 1st Nov 2015, which has full maternity cover as before. Price 935pa. Public and private hospital cover included.(excess 75) I know your renewal is end of October so they would apply 1 day on your current plan and then update to the new plan for the rest of the year.
http://www.hia.ie/news/vhi-launch-3-new-plans-pmi-40-15-pmi-41-15-and-pmi-42-15-01112015

You have 14 days after renewal date to make up your mind.

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Apologies on the late acknowledgment of the comment above Snowyb.
Thanks very much for all your help.

Back