Health Insurance Vhi - intrusive questions when looking for quote.

Binomial

In recent years when seeking a quote from vhi I have been asked some intrusive questions. My current provider does not ask these questions , nor do the other providers.

The questions are along the lines of "have you been admitted to hospital in recent years" and "do you suffer from any long term conditions". When challenged the operator (operating off a script) says something like "this is to allow me tailor a product to your needs".

Do you have to answer these intrusive questions? Can you just give them "old Mr Brennan's answer"?

Can they use the information gleaned in this way to profile or target you for cross selling other products such as life assurance etc.?

Any thoughts?

BiNomial

Wow, you're looking for health insurance yet you're aghast that the health insurer would inquire about your health.

I certainly hope they use the responses to profile potential customers.

This post will be deleted if not edited immediately wept.

Is this a joke?

You're looking for a quote for health insurance, and you think it's intrusive to be asked whether you have a long-term medical condition or whether you've been admitted to hospital recently?

When you're looking for a motor insurance quote, how do you feel about being asked whether you've crashed your car recently or whether you've ever been done for drink-driving?

Your replies and your comparison to motor insurance are puzzling.
Medical insurance is not risk based in Ireland,so why ask?
If everyone in Ireland paid a flat insurance fee,then the insurer wouldn't need to know about drink driving,either.

Do you not think that the type of plan that is suitable for someone is dependent on factors such as their general health, frequency of visit to hospital, etc?

It might do,but also could give the impression that with an expensive prospective customer,they might not quote a competitive plan.
My comments on your motor insurance analogy stand.

as others have said, would you rather a policy that did not meet your needs, or one that did? Your query is strange to say the least.

Your replies and your comparison to motor insurance are puzzling.
Medical insurance is not risk based in Ireland,so why ask?
If everyone in Ireland paid a flat insurance fee,then the insurer wouldn't need to know about drink driving,either.

You do realise that pre-existing conditions typically aren't covered?

Thanks for your comments and observations!

What I find strange is that the other insurers don't ask these questions. The hia.ie comparison website does not ask these questions. If you go to a broker he will not ask these questions. Even if you post a question here on AAM the excellent poster snowyb often recommend policys without asking these style of question.

As van driver says health insurance in Ireland is not risk based so why ask?

I have had full cover for many years now and am not new to health insurance and any preexisting conditions are covered without any waiting period.

Last edited:
For new customers,which this person clearly isn't.
And of course,pre-existing conditions are covered,after a waiting period.

So you think it's weird for a health insurance sales person to ask questions about a prospective customer's health?

Binomial,

I think the questions relate to whether it would be appropriate or not to quote for plans that include an inpatient excess for private/hi-tech admissions, which are cheaper but don't suit everyone, depending on age, state of health etc. Health insurance plans with no excess are usually suitable for people with long term or ongoing health conditions that may require several admissions or day case treatments every year.
This type of plan is usually more expensive as there are no costs payable on admission to private/hi-tech hospitals.
An inpatient or day case excess is not charged in any public hospital.

While the questions were presented in a way that may have seemed intrusive, I'd say it was more to do with trying to establish what kind of plan would suit your situation.
The cheapest plan with 'No Inpatient Excess' starts at 1464pa - VHI One Plan Extra.

This year, Laya Healthcare launched a new inbetween type of plan called 'Simplicity' price 1087pa.
This plan has an inpatient excess which is capped at 100 x 2 admissions per year. This means that you just pay 200 max, regardless of how many extra admissions greater than two per year. Day case visits are 50 per visit.

Another angle, I heard Dermot Goode mention recently that certain health insurance providers can sometimes use your health conditions as a way of talking a person out of switching to a better priced plan. Saying things like 'oh, I wouldn't switch plans if I was you with those kind of illnesses'. This is just plain scaremongering, unless they explain exactly why in detail.

So next time maybe ask a question like, 'is this to do with plans that include an inpatient excess?'

Snowyb

Why not just ask VHI why you are being asked these questions when other providers did not?
Make it clear to them you are not seeking any advice in relation to what plan to choose, you are just looking for a quote only for a named plan(s).
If someone is looking for a steer on what plans would be appropriate, then I would not rely on VHI's advice but would deal with a broker.

Thanks Snowyb,

Yes, the simplest explaination is that they are trying to trying to determine the level of in patient excess that would be appropriate in my case.

Next time I will take your advice and ask 'is this to do with plans that include an inpatient excess?'

BiNom

Back