VHI VHI Healthplus Excess - what alternatives

Rob S

That time of year again - VHI Insurance renewals! Looking for advice/options.
I'm early 70's, wife late 60's - generally healthy now but both of us have past issues. Currently on VHI Healthplus Excess. Not overly bothered by day to day expenses (also have HSF Policy) but do want to insure against orthopaedic, cardiac, high tech etc.
Are there any other plans we should consider?

Rob S,

Another option worth considering with VHI is a newish plan called PMI 07 10. Details as follows;

1. VHI PMI 07 10; price 1188pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, there is a max inpatient excess of 150 per year on this
plan regardless of the amount of private/hi-tech hospital admissions per year. The private/hi-tech day case excess is 50 per procedure.

There is an 80% restriction on ortho joint replacement surgery on this plan which is fully covered in Blackrock Clinic as previously mentioned
and also the Mater Private. Other private hospitals would charge the 20% shortfall which is 2000 - 3000 depending on the type of surgery.
Cardiac is fully covered in hi-tech hospitals.

Good day to day included, 50% refund etc. Note; as you are both over 65 years, there is a
six month wait before this day to day cover kicks in. You would stay on Healthplus Excess plan just for day to day cover for the first 6 months.
There is no waiting for hospital cover as its switching to similar hospital cover, except for the 80% cover for ortho as already explained.

[broken link removed]

2. The nearest alternative to VHI Healthplus Excess is called VHI Health Access; Price 1613pa. This is very similar to your current plan with
the only difference being the inpatient excess 125 per admission or day case on Health Access compared to 75 excess on your current plan.
There is no change in relation to hospital cover, same as before.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks for your help Snowyb and Steveki. Ended up going with PMI 07 10.
Am posting a separate, new post now looking for info for my daughters plan and for my son's. All advice welcolmed!

Back