Ventilation system

A

annejess

I am doing a new build with airtightness and want to avoid a whole house heat recovery system if possible. As alternative I looking at installing either (a)Passivent Whole House Assisted Ventilation (iMEV) System or (b) Aereco Mechanical Extract Ventilation. Does anybody have a view on the effectiveness of these systems or the cost of installation.

seeing as a MHRV system is basically a mechanical extract system with and additional advantage of heat recovery, i cannot see how it would make economic sense to install any mechanical extract ventilation without having heat recovery as a feature.

if you dont want heat recovery, just put in hole-in-the-wall vents.
My reading of the iMEV is that it is simply an 'intelligent' extraction system and NOT an air supply system. If you use this you still need some kind of air intake.
The aereco systems seems slightly better, but id be worried about the lack of Uk or irish certification, because we have significantly higher humidity levels than the countries it has certification for. A certifying engineer / architect may have issues accepting a system that is not certified for use in ireland which deal with such an important issue.

Hi, we are also building an airtight low energy house and we have been searching for an alternative to a heat recovery ventilation system because:
- we live in country and it seems counter-inituitive to live with the windows shut.
- because the countryside is so quiet I think we would hear noise from it
- the research that I have done suggests that they may not be entirely necessary in mild climates and that there are issues around maintenance (people do not maintain them properly and we would probably fall into that catagory!).

Despite contacting a number of companies - from moondraught to passivent to solarventi - we are still 'holding off' making a decision to see if there is a simple system that gets air in to the house and out again, according to demand and as naturally as possible.
We are waiting for advice back from Aereco at the moment and we are looking at the Lunos demand controlled system but if anyone has any experience of any of these systems I would be grateful to hear your opinions?

- we live in country and it seems counter-inituitive to live with the windows shut.
- because the countryside is so quiet I think we would hear noise from it
- the research that I have done suggests that they may not be entirely necessary in mild climates and that there are issues around maintenance (people do not maintain them properly and we would probably fall into that catagory!).
?

very strange opinions you have....

1. Windows are opened when you need rapid ventilation or require the dwelling to cool down. Neither has anything to do with HRV systems which provides background ventilation.

2. you can actually design the construction to negate any noise (which is minimal anyway)... your pc's fan will be louder....

3. absolutely nothing to do with mild climates. Its about heat recovery. Do we live in a climate that is constantly 18-21 degrees??? .. no absolutely not. Therefore, when there is temperature differentials there is heat loss. where there is heat loss there needs to be a reproducing heat source. HRV systems reduce the demand on this heat source.

4. admitting that you will not maintain the system is reason enough to not to get one....

I am going with the aereco system I will let you know how I get on

annejess, I would be very interested how you have got on with the Aereco ventilation system as I am considering fitting one myself.

sorry for reviving a zombie thread!

To reply to my own query and revive a zombie thread again in the hope that it may help someone in the future. I DIY installed an Aereco DCV system. It completely sorted out our condensation issues (which is no surprise, we had no extract in the kitchen or bathroom before we installed it). It was noisier than I expected but it is not a big issue (though if I was doing it again, I would pay more attention to bend radius on corners and I would use steel ducting rather than plastic). Total cost was around €1500 for the fan, two extract units, six wall vents and ducting. I am not certain how much modulation the wall vents actually do; I haven't noticed them move. If anyone is interested feel free to ask any questions...

Hi Zagadka, could you tell me where you purchased the DCV kit from?

Looking at getting a DCV system in a refurb and this sounds like a decent price.

Back