Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) Query

here's a reply I got from the E.U with regard to the legality of VRT
I'd encourage everybody to click on the link and make a complaint.......

Dear Mr. Byrne,

We acknowledge receipt of your message and in response to your question, we would like to inform you that the European Commission has a proposal on the Council table to end vehicle registration tax which in Ireland has proved very unpopular with many motorists. Under the proposal set out on 5 July 2005, car registration taxes would be abolished over five to 10 years, to be replaced by annual road taxes and fuel taxes (so that the tax burden would remain the same but would be related to the use of a car rather than its acquisition). Under the proposal Member States would also be required to give credit if the car had already been subjected to registration tax in another MemberState or refund a portion of registration tax if the car was permanently exported or transported to another Member State.

For further information, we suggest that you visit the web site of the Directorate-General (DG) for Taxation and Customs Union, where you will be able to access information on passenger car taxation, via the following link:
http://www.ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/taxation/other_taxes/passenger_car/index_en.htm

Furthermore, we invite you to contact directly the same DG, via the following on-line request form, provided on the link below:
http://www.ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/common/contact/index_en.htm

We also suggest that you contact directly the Irish Revenue Commissioners, via the following web site:
http://www.revenue.ie/

We would also like to inform you that anyone may lodge a complaint with the Commission against a Member State about any measure (law, regulation or administrative action) or practice which they consider incompatible with a provision or a principle of Community law, you can do so via the following link:
http://ec.europa.eu/community_law/complaints/form/index_en.htm

We hope that this information will be of use to you.

With kind regards,

Fantastic...well done on getting the above response. Is it time to lodge a compliant with the commission?

Also I don't believe that that the VRO calculations for VRT take into account any previous registration taxes paid on second hand cars (I know for UK this is only STG50 but this is a form of double taxation)

Let us know if you are going to make a compliant

brian,

well done on the above ! about time we stood up to this ridiiculous tax...

no other country would stand for it...

Hi folks,

I am currently working away on the site but I need some regular contributors with regards to EU and Irish legislation on VRT as I have
very limited knowledge, only what Ive been told.

If anyone is interested in contributing or being a point of contact for www.abolishvrt.ie, please drop me a mail [email protected]

Im hoping to get a highly informative website together that will opens peoples eyes to the BIGGEST scam in Europe.....

Hope everyone is keeping well..

Regards

John / Surfmaster,

It actual costs more monthly for me to run my car that it does run my home....

Barry.

Barry in my instance, my wife and I both have cars. This means we both get bent over by Bertie and Co. Our anual costs for the cars out strip our house hold costs incl mortgage.

If the public transport system was in better shape we would only need one car or maybe none.

For example Ireland had a very good train network 50+ years ago that branched all over the island. Currently its in a very sorry state and is one of the major reason there is so much traffic and on the roads.

Sorry for getting side tracked, but moved back to Ireland 2 years ago after 6 years of been away and things still have not improved much. That includes the injustice of VRT.

Hi folks,

I am currently working away on the site but I need some regular contributors with regards to EU and Irish legislation on VRT as I have
very limited knowledge, only what Ive been told.

Hi Barry,

I am currently working on a letter template which anyone can use. A friend of mine with a degree in EU Law is helping me out - The basis of the letter requests for return of VRT payments on any new cars / second hand cars purchased in the EU since 1973 - Once completed it would be great if we could get it on your website and encourage anyone that visits to enter their details and post it off.

Jaid79 has a very valid point re public transport - What is really happening to the €900 million a year generated by VRT as it certainly isn't being used to develop public transport services....

Does anyone know where OMSP is defined? The legal definition of the term, that is.

I was going through a list of cars sold at auction last month, and out of curiosity I checked it against the Revenue's VRT calculator. There was a considerable difference between the OMSP (which was higher) and the sale price in the ones I checked.

Now I apreciate that auction cars are not necessarily the best examples of what's available, but the ones I checked were all less than 4 years old.

I would have thought that by definition teh fgure obtained at a public auction is the OMSP.

Thoughts, anyone?

Does anyone know where OMSP is defined? The legal definition of the term, that is.

I really hope someone has a more technical explaniation other than Black Magic....

I emailed 3 different vehicle registration offices with the Chassis number of a car I have, (so that they would know the exact make-up of the car inc. extras) and I received 3 different OMSP from these offices ranging from €35,000 to €46,000 for a BMW320D 2005 38,000 miles with all the extras...

I found this doc... do people think a proposal something like this will come into place?? I mean, it's still charging VRT?

Policy Proposal Re: VRT Reform as per Budget 2007; delivered in Dáil Éireann on December 6th 2006 Con Colbert Cumann Ógra Fianna Fáil

[broken link removed]

I have been hit by alot of VRT in the past too as I have taken in a few cars from England. However, seems that there will be a revisit of VRT in this years budget. See search link below

Does anyone know what is in the plan? Seems like we'll be paying more for bigger cars.... yes, MORE!!

Hello all,

Very interesting reading, will be sending my €10 to irishdrivers.org & look forward to [broken link removed] once up & running, I am going over to liverpool very soon to purchase a second hand BMW. On my return I will be insuring the car with english plates.
I have two questions; what happens when road tax runs out on the car, can anyone seize the car for not having road tax?
Second how do I get a list of e-mail address for VRT offices around the country to compare the VRT for my car? Does anyone have this list?

Thanks

I have two questions; what happens when road tax runs out on the car, can anyone seize the car for not having road tax?

No, but it can be seized for non-payment of VRT. This can and does happen.

You mightn't like it, but it's the law. Quoting European laws and directives will get you nowhere. The only way this will change will be political pressure to get the law changed.

Second how do I get a list of e-mail address for VRT offices around the country to compare the VRT for my car? Does anyone have this list?

Last time I checked, there's a list on the Revenue Web site.

Hi, Just come accross this thread. I have commited to buying a jeep in the UK which I am due to collect at the weekend. The VRT on this will be €8K.

I have since been told if i dont register it till Jan VRT could reduce by 1k.

If i brought the vehicle over and put it in my shed till Jan would this be illegal. Is it illegal to have vehicle stored without paying VRT.

Hi, Just come accross this thread. I have commited to buying a jeep in the UK which I am due to collect at the weekend. The VRT on this will be €8K.

I have since been told if i dont register it till Jan VRT could reduce by 1k.

If i brought the vehicle over and put it in my shed till Jan would this be illegal. Is it illegal to have vehicle stored without paying VRT.

Might be illegal but it is done and people get away with it.

If you buy a car in the UK and take it to Ireland, you can drive it in Ireland with UK road tax.
You can get an Irish insurance company to insure you even though it is English registered.
This is fine.

When the road tax runs out, you are unable to get the Irish Road Tax because its a UK registered car right?
Are you able to fly to the UK (or even to the North) with your English Registration document and IRISH Insurance (MOT not necessary if a new car), go to a Post Office in the UK and get a new UK tax disc?
Fly back to Ireland, put the new disc on the naw and away you go for another 12 months.
Or is this a problem?

My sister has taken a work contract in Ireland and is staying with me.
She has an Englisg reg car.
She bought the car new 6 months ago in the UK and has been in Ireland for the last 5 months.
Insurance was working out expensive with her UK insurer to insure her overseas, so she cancelled it and transferred to an Irish insurer.
Initially she was only going to stay in Ireland for 6-9 months, but has extended her work contract for another 12 months.
The car has UK road tax that will run out in another 6 months time.

Any thoughts?

Plenty of comments in this thread about not paying the VRT, standing up for your rights etc, but an untaxed car is illegal.

Or am I missing something?

If you buy a car in the UK and take it to Ireland, you can drive it in Ireland with UK road tax.
You can get an Irish insurance company to insure you even though it is English registered.
This is fine.

When the road tax runs out, you are unable to get the Irish Road Tax because its a UK registered car right?
Are you able to fly to the UK (or even to the North) with your English Registration document and IRISH Insurance (MOT not necessary if a new car), go to a Post Office in the UK and get a new UK tax disc?
Fly back to Ireland, put the new disc on the naw and away you go for another 12 months.
Or is this a problem?

My sister has taken a work contract in Ireland and is staying with me.
She has an Englisg reg car.
She bought the car new 6 months ago in the UK and has been in Ireland for the last 5 months.
Insurance was working out expensive with her UK insurer to insure her overseas, so she cancelled it and transferred to an Irish insurer.
Initially she was only going to stay in Ireland for 6-9 months, but has extended her work contract for another 12 months.
The car has UK road tax that will run out in another 6 months time.

Any thoughts?

Plenty of comments in this thread about not paying the VRT, standing up for your rights etc, but an untaxed car is illegal.

Or am I missing something?

The system isn't that complicated - To tax your car in the UK all you need to do is download the correct forms off the DVLA website ([broken link removed]) , complete and send (post works just fine) with your insurance certificate (Irish insurance is fine) and the correct payment to a UK Post Office that can process Motor TAX Discs. They will then post back your new disc & ins cert to your UK address...

Hope this helps

This is fine.

Yes, an Irish company will insure a UK registered car - they only use the registration as a means of identifying the car.

What you say is not "fine" though: if you are living here and you import a car you must re-register it and pay the VRT. The only exceptions are where you are changing residence (or for classic cars), and there are very strict rules and checks done for this.

It makes no sense to pay UK car tax on a car that's used here.

They will then post back your new disc & ins cert to your UK address...

Thanks for the reply Surfmaster - But the thing is that she is now living in Ireland.
Long story, but she split with her partner a year ago and is planning on starting afresh in Ireland. They were renting in the UK and she bought her car in the UK a week before moving out of the rented place, then on to Ireland. The car is still registered at that address, even though there are new tenants there now. She is now living with me temporarily and is about to complete on the purchase of a flat.
This issue has all come about because I am helping with sorting out the administrative side of her life.
I am concerned that having put pretty much all her money into this flat, she may get hit with the VRT / Import duty for the car at a later date.
I also dont want her to break the law.

So a recap (with dates)

March 07 - Bought new car in England - Insured & Registered at old adress in the UK - 12 month tax disc
March 07 - Moved to Ireland
April 07 - Started a 9 month contract in Ireland - Temporarily living with brother's family (me)
April 07 - Cancelled English car insurance, as it worked out more expensive renewing the green card - so insured with an Irish company instead
August 07 - Work contract extended until late 2008. Sister decides to start looking for a place to buy.

She pays tax here, and has insurance on the car, at my address, although the car is registered at a UK address.
That I would have thought is enough for somebody to be assumed as a resident here.
When she moves into her new place, I see the following problems:

1) The car has a UK tax disc. She cannot get an Irish tax disc because its an english registration. So when the 12 months are up, she may get into trouble
2) I *believe* she will be unable to get an english tax disc on a car that is in Ireland. Same problem after the 12 months
3) At some point, she will have to change the registration document to her new address. This will probably mean that she will have to deal with eth payment of Duty / VRT

But I am getting varying opinions from people on how to deal with this.
I dont wany my sister to pay unnecessary charges etc.

Hi

I have recently purchased a vehicle from the north, and i'm going to leave paying the VRT until Janurary, i have it in storage at the moment. The price quoted for the OMSP on the revenue site is excessive, i've checked all the websites and the same car here being sold is worth about €2000 less than OMSP, this is rediculous, the VRT is calculated on a car which has VRT already added to it, so in effect a double tax.

Anyway an uncle told me that on the tax book it states that anyone exporting the car to another country is intitled to claim any taxes paid o the vehicle back, i did not recieve this part as the DVLNI tore this bit off, is this true has anybody heard of this and tried it.

Back