Health Insurance Upgrading Excess and Day to Day Expenses in the future.

JazzyJ

Hi,

I am currently considering plans that have a higher excess and lower amounts of cover for day to day expenses, as I don't have any medical issues.

What would the implications of moving to a plan with a lower excess in the future - other than increased cost :) Would there be any waiting periods involved to have to pay the lower excess?

Similarly if I wished to have greater cover on day to day medical expenses would there there be waiting periods?

I am looking at keeping my hospital cover the same.

Thanks,

J.

JazzJ,

Welcome to AAM.
The maximum waiting time would be 2 years, for any higher benefit on the new plan in the future, ie 2 years waiting to pay the lower excess.
Note; this is at the discretion of the provider. There have been situations where Laya have not applied this waiting time. VHI would be strict
in applying this waiting, I'm not sure about Aviva or Glohealth.
http://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/switchingupgrade-waiting-periods

Regarding upgrading outpatient day to day medical expenses, it depends on the company you're with as to what waiting applies.
Under 50 yrs - no waiting applies with any provider. New higher expenses can be claimed straight away.
Between 50 -65 yrs different waiting applies, with each company VHI, Aviva and Glohealth.
Over 65yrs a max of 2 years applies with VHI, Aviva and Glohealth.

Laya have no waiting times for outpatient expenses, regardless of age.

Regards, Snowyb

Back