Unhappy with solicitor

T

theBatMan

I am buying a house at the moment and having some problems with my solicitor. The contracts were sent to the solicitor seven weeks ago, but he never contacted me to tell me that they had arrived. The contacts sat on his desk for six weeks until I called him asking him what was going on. He told me that he had sent me a letter six weeks ago to inform me that the contracts had arrived. I never received this letter, and asked him where he sent the letter. He told me that he sent it to the house that I am buying??? This concerned me a little.

Last Wednesday I called into his office and signed the contracts. He said he would send the contracts off that afternoon. I heard nothing back, so this afternoon I called my solicitor. He told me that he hasn’t sent them yet. I questioned him about this and he made excuses about it being Easter and that he was very busy. He said he was going to put them in the post in the morning.

I don’t have much experience dealing with the legal profession, but I think this is pretty appalling. Is this normal behaviour for a solicitor and is there anything I can do?

not good enough. If a sole practitioner, you could write to him pointing out the shortfalls. If a solr in a firm, then write to the senior partner asking him/her to investigate.

How did you choose this Solicitor in the first place? Was it a recommendation or was he the cheapest?

It was a recommendation I received from a relation. They have used him in the past and said he was really good. Definitely not the cheapest!!!

That relation is off my christmas card list now ;).

Back