Unfair Rent Review

SeanA

Hope this is the right place to start this thread.

I recently got a rent review through the post, my landlord proposes to double my rent! This is just crazy! It is a commercial property. I have done some research and this is way above the going rate. What are my rights?

There is a bit of ill feeling between the landlord and the person I bought my business from and I feel I have inherited this even though I have tried to be hospitable, I feel this is a reaction to these ill feelings.

The process for rent review will be contained in your Lease. Check that first. You say that your landlord is proposing to double your rent. That is an opening gambit and it is likely that the final reviewed rent will be less than that. You do need to negotiate.

mf

The new rent will reflect what the going rate is in the area for a commercial property such as yours. If it has doubled you have no choice but to pay it. To ensure you are paying the going rate go to your local auctioneer (not your landlords auctioneer) and let them look after the negotiations. They will be able to show the landlord the correct price for rent in the area and it should be acceptable to everyone fairly quickly.The landlord has no choice but to accept the going rate. If negotiations drag on the new rent will be backdated to the lease date for the rent review.

Back