Under 70’s medical card - sole income from State Pension

fayf

Some friends have retired and i suggested they apply for the Medical card, both are aged 67, and both receive the full state contributory Pension, as their sole
income, and total savings are under 25k. There are no other assets/savings, other than their own home.

When they were completing the online form, and saved it, they got an auto message saying they don’t qualify, but can continue with the application if they wish.

My understanding was applicants qualify, if their sole income is a state payment, which is the case here, perhaps i am mistaken, but is looks clear enough on Citizens Advice:

“If your only income is from social welfareor HSE payments, you will get a medical cardeven if your income is over the income limits for your age and situation”

Is anyone with more knowledge on Medical Cards for under ‘70’s have more information or clarity on this ?

I suspect that "computer said no" because they each have a pension.
Did they make one joint application or two separate applications?
If they made a joint application, maybe try again and make separate applications - it might make a difference.

If they made a joint application, maybe try again and make separate applications - it might make a difference.
If a married person makes an application in their sole name, are they asked what their joint income is?

In my case I have a private pension and state pension but my wife only has a state pension.

Would she qualify on her own?

On further research, the HSE website, states quite clearly, households, who only have only Social Welfare payments as income - qualify.

It appears the message they received during the application process, is automated taking into account, only the very low income threshold for a couple aged between 66 to 70, which is €298 per week, but the auto system, does not consider, that their sole income are Social Welfare payments, this requires manual intervention by the HSE Medical Card Application team.

I’l update here, how they get on with this, as it can take a few weeks for a decision.

Attachments

• IMG_8038.jpeg
    IMG_8038.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
If a married person makes an application in their sole name, are they asked what their joint income is?

In my case I have a private pension and state pension but my wife only has a state pension.

It is certainly worth applying, but as it is means tested, any savings/investments/other assets in their own name or held jointly, are considered, and if these are >36k, this impacts on the means test, however they also take into account, dependants, ongoing medical expenses,household insurance, and other expenses. There is more info in the link above

It is certainly worth applying, but as it is means tested, any savings/investments/other assets in their own name or held jointly, are considered, and if these are >36k, this impacts on the means test,
Is it the actual income that you get from these investments that is taken in to consideration or the amount of capital that you have in savings etc.

Is it the actual income that you get from these investments that is taken in to consideration or the amount of capital that you have in savings etc.
Yes, i am aware, as i previously said “this impacts” on the means test, only if, the total is greater than 36k for a sole person, double for a couple.

As far as I know a couple cannot make separate applications for medical cards. They are always treated as one item in an application and either do get the card- or not at all.
There is always the "Doctor only" with a different income limit if the couple fails to get a general medical card. However, the application procedure is the same as for the general card- the couple is judged as one item- and not separate.

Some friends have retired and i suggested they apply for the Medical card, both are aged 67, and both receive the full state contributory Pension, as their sole
income, and total savings are under 25k. There are no other assets/savings, other than their own home.

When they were completing the online form, and saved it, they got an auto message saying they don’t qualify, but can continue with the application if they wish.

My understanding was applicants qualify, if their sole income is a state payment, which is the case here, perhaps i am mistaken, but is looks clear enough on Citizens Advice:

“If your only income is from social welfareor HSE payments, you will get a medical cardeven if your income is over the income limits for your age and situation”

Is anyone with more knowledge on Medical Cards for under ‘70’s have more information or clarity on this ?
The couple in your example will qualify for a general medical card since their only income is the state pensions.
The auto message is wrong. They should continue with the application.

Update, they both got GP cards, as the €290 per couple is the household income limit

Back