ulster bank's mortgage fiasco: no payments taken nov - jan!

C

cladagh

ulster bank's mortgage fiasco: Has anyone else experienced this problem?

We switched mortgage to ulster bank last summer, payments were taken out for while but noticed no payments taken out from nov-jan so rang & asked whats story?

Seems they've been having problems with standing orders/direct debits & we have to re-pay over €2,500 worth of mortgage they didnt take out (although it wasnt a problem on our side but a banking error AND one we brought to their attention!).

They've offered us (eventually) a €250 'good will gesture' but little good reallt in the greater scheme of things, we haven't accepted it-should we? We're really annoyed!

Re: ulster bank's mortgage fiasco

they've offered us (eventually) a €250 'good will gesture' but little good reallt in the greater scheme of things, we haven't accepted it-should we?
You should find out what, if any, additional interest charges you are being hit with due to their failure to draw down mortgage repayments. Normally if you miss repayments then you face a higher than expected interest bill. In this case, even if it was their fault, the same could apply. €250 compensation might be sufficient compensation if it exceeds any such additional interest bill and compensates you for the inconvenience. Have you made a formal complaint to them (in writing) about this? If you are not satisfied with their response then you could consider making a complaint to the [broken link removed].

Bank made a mistake, you pay the missing installments, they pay you a gesture of €250. whats the problem?

How much of a gesture do you feel they should make? Should they write off the missing installments, should they write off the entire mortgage?

The borrower should not be penalised by additional interest charges due to the lender's mistake. It's not clear from the information posted if the €250 compensation would cover this. If it was me then I would be checking that this was the case.

I have found Ulster Bank possibly the worst customer relationship I have ever had the misfortune to experience.

I recently received a letter from Credit union stating that my mandate for a standing order was withdrawn by my bank and could I call in to pay off the remainder of my loan. I found this strange as my wages had gone in and there were definitely enough funds available. I tried to check my balance on-line but was told there was a problem with my account and call a helpline number. I checked at my ATM and my balance was very healthy. finding this unusual but not unduly concerned, I called the helpline but they hadn't any idea what the problem was and told me to call my branch. Did this three days in a row, got through to a support person who told me she didn't know what was wrong with my account but a Rep would call me. I never received a call. In the meantime the sale proceeds from my house were lodged in the same account so now there was nearly €200000 in a/c but at the same time I was receiving letters from ESB and O2 saying they were unable to draw down Direct Debits for less than €100. Called into the nearest branch, they made some calls and apparently my a/c had been sent to Debt Recoveries as I had gone into my overdraft facility (the one they gave me!) by €50 for four days in January. This had happened because I had a previous relationship with Debt Recoveries, again caused by an error on their part for which I received and accepted an apology( over three years ago, a small car loan).

Everyone I spoke with talked about and hid behind what they called "the new system". At no stage did I receive a letter from the bank explaining what had happened and was able to take money from atm without any problem at all times.

When asked how could this be resolved as I was considering taking my business elsewhere, I was told I would have to open up a new account with Ulster bank as my account was frozen - being frozen meant no direct debits or standing orders could be taken out, but my wages and house sale proceeds were gratefully accepted. I found this unacceptable so they put me through to my branch and the "manager" asked me to call out to my branch as he would like to sort this out personally.

So I took a half day off from work, called out to my branch where the young manager apologised, told me a button on my a/c had been pressed by accident (wtf???) and he was reaaly really sorry but the only way to resolve this was to open up a new account as that's all the "new system" allowed. He then took out all the paper work and started to treat me as a brand new member, as if he had no details on my whatsoever! He asked me if I had a mortgage, which I told him had been recently paid off, as you can see from the information you have on your screen. The next question? What's the current value of the property??!! Perhaps you should ask the current owner of the property. It was farcical, even he seemed embarassed.

I walked out without signing anything as he said he'd have to get back to me about some of my questions. he hasn't. Since then I have received a new atm card (but no pin), ufirst membership, a cheque book, all stuff I never requested. The only thing I requested was a letter / guarantee that my credit history will not be effected and the bank would take responsibility for any blots on it. This has yet to arrive.

I'm sure Ulster Bank have some excellent employees and many people have had great experiences with them. I however have lost complete faith and trust in them and am in the process of changing to another bank.

Wouldn't 3 months of missed mortgage payments affect the OP credit rating? €250 isn't much to make up for a blot on your credit history!

That is another thing that needs to be checked out along with any possible additional interest charges arising. The onus should be on the lender to sort these matters out.

Back